Rods 'n' Sods banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Sadly all our great engineering sites are now long gone along with mass employment and yes we are to blame for buying cheaply from abroad but previous governments did exactly that, thats why we have no shipyards,steelworks, coal mines ,clothing factory's to name but a few these places employed hundreds of staff, and i cant see that situation returning ,probably the biggest employers of people today are Costa coffee shops and McDonald's

·
Premium Member
7,340 Posts
Couldn't agree more, Most of Joe and Jane Public will buy all sorts of crap of dubious quality, just because it is cheaper. complain briefly when it breaks, but throw it away and buy more cheap sh*t anyway. The blow up doll quality of a lot of stuff from the far east (looks vaguely similar to the real thing, but clearly isn't) is all that will be left eventually.
To be fair,we can only buy what is on offer,and generally you or i ,would have no idea of where it was manufactured.

Its not the general public thats to blame,its the company's that send their work abroad so they can make more money.

And money is what the world is about.

Its always put out that customer,s depand cheap goods.do we. Never in my life have i been asked if i want anything cheap.so who are these people demanding it.

One advantage with cheap stuff,is that manufacturers of more expensive stuff have to adjust their prices to be competitive. Quick eady example.holley efi system s were really expensive until fitec hit the market and holleys price nearly halved.

The only thing is ,we can only hope that we may start producing stuff again,but even if it could be built cheap,there will always he an excuse,why it wont sell cheap.

·
Stroker
5,442 Posts
Great points being made :tup:

Global markets combined with MAXIMUM profits at all costs is where we're at.

As an aside I said yonks ago there aint many of the upcoming workforce that would want to drop their computer degrees to work in a factory, dig ditches or mine coal. The UK is posh now, why not let the keen and upwardly mobile developing (can't say third world) countries make stuff, embargo china and let the rest have a go.

Dyson etc and I think I just saw on the Motorbike Show that Royal Enfield moved production abroad, hell even the EU Harley Street 750 was made in the punjab. R Enfield bloke said they deliberately make it em abroad purely to make em affordable and viable.

When I took out a pension in the heady 80s the bird said we'll all be retiring to a life of leisure in our 50s.
Maybe the context has changed a bit :pmsl:

·
Registered
3,461 Posts
Reading various news items on the web, it seems that its not just us that are experiencing extra costs from BREXIT, one post ( I can't find it now but I think it was the Express) states that Brexit is costing Germany almost as much as it is costing the UK (apparently we are one of their largest markets) Brexit has fucked the British fishing industry which is mostly export, which in the long run will mean extra problems for the European food industry which buys it. If the extra costs and red tape cause problems one way they will cause problems the other way. Hopefully common sense will prevail and the "deal" can be altered.
As I said in my previous post BREXIT is as much Europes problem as ours and they should be coming up with soloutions not more problems. I think they dont want to do this as they are worried that if we make a success of Brexit there will be a SWEXIT, DANEXIT etc etc leaving only the Germans, French and Dutch (who seem to be doing quite well out of Brexit) along woth all the sunshine and eastern european states...

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
We've had similar hikes in prices and import costs, but that has all been blamed on 'Covid'. Funny how milk and bread that's produced 2kms down the road suddenly has unexplained 'inflated costs'. Basically big businesses are greedy, freight companies are greedy, governments are greedy and if they can all blame something for your lower standard of living and their increase in profits (Brexit, Covid, Climate change) they will. Always.

·
Premium Member
7,340 Posts
Ordered a power steering set up from poland about three weeks ago.

Its still stuck in poland due to brexit apparently.

Have spoke to the company and they said at the moment,the only company that will ship from poland to the uk is ups.

And they have so much,they are weeks behind. Mad when its still only four days from the states

·
Registered
645 Posts
Ordered a power steering set up from poland about three weeks ago.

Its still stuck in poland due to brexit apparently.

Have spoke to the company and they said at the moment,the only company that will ship from poland to the uk is ups.

And they have so much,they are weeks behind. Mad when its still only four days from the states
it's almost as if EU is making things difficult..... determined to make brexit britain worse off.... don't want to be encouraging anyone else to exit too

·
Premium Member
1,730 Posts
I bought a pair of Moog track rod ends from an Amazon site. They came from Belgium. Ordered December 6th and was told they'd be delivered Dec 18th. i got finally them last week.

·
Registered
487 Posts
I can't still believe how some people still live in denial that Brexit has contributed, and will contribute, to a rise in costs...nothing to do with Covid.
And that old "more chance to be made in the UK" - yes that would all be very good except the fact the UK never had the need to put the money into R&R as it would buy from abroad, so everything is years and year behind.
No chance of buying in the uk unless you are buying potatoes and carrots.

·
Registered
487 Posts
it's almost as if EU is making things difficult..... determined to make brexit britain worse off.... don't want to be encouraging anyone else to exit too
it's not making life difficult. why would they make it easy?

UK and EU lived in a partnership.. that partnership ended, so the EU safeguards their own interests. No different than 2 business cutting ties.

Brexiters have said from day one " The EU will bend over..", well, I'm still waiting to see that happen lol

·
Nowheresville
3,020 Posts
Germany and their EU were more than happy to allow unlimited dumping of Chinese shit across Europe, but then I imagine they made lots of money handing out "GS" standards or whatever they are to Chinese factories. And, oh, look at all those German car factories in China . . .

·
Registered
861 Posts
Once this Covid thing is over, ALL prices are going to rise dramatically to cover all the losses that businesses have lost - and taxes will be going up too. .....but when did prices ever come down ? 🤪

21 - 36 of 36 Posts