Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

41 - 60 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
523 Posts
to be fair most of the r&r for lots of the stuff coming from china is actually done here. then the greedy english companies send their well designed prototype to china to be copied (which they're very good at) and made there cheaper so they have more profit.

I'm not focusing on things coming from China, but from other EU countries.
For example, say Telecomms equipment. why is it all major mobile phone operators use every single brand except a British brand?because there isnt one. Even simple things like repeaters are American - one of the big players on residential and enterprise repeaters.

Yes Huawei has been kicked out of the core network, hell, even the great British Telecom uses Huawei in all their core and ho my that will cost a few millions to replace.
but what else is there to use? Well... Nokia, Ericsson... Samsung... there's no British brand.
but the UK has not put any R&R in any of this.. so there isn't one technology that can be bought here.

this is just an example. there's a lot more stuff that simply cannot and will never be invented, researched, marketed and produced over here, because there was never a need for it, so the uk is miles behind.

Have a google for the recent tech booming.. OpenRAN. not a single british company has jumped on the bandwagon. (well, some have, but selling other countries products)

·
richard rawlplug
8,111 Posts
Sadly all our great engineering sites are now long gone along with mass employment and yes we are to blame for buying cheaply from abroad but previous governments did exactly that, thats why we have no shipyards,steelworks, coal mines ,clothing factory's to name but a few these places employed hundreds of staff, and i cant see that situation returning ,probably the biggest employers of people today are Costa coffee shops and McDonald's
Wrong...the big engineering company I work for is still here...

·
Enthusiastic Amateur
754 Posts
I was talking to a supplier in Italy today and the conversation turned to Covid and vaccinations. Italy has a low single figure percentage on their rollout. He blamed the bureaucracy of the eu for not signing off and then control over distribution. Our timing looks to have been perfect since we are now over the 20% mark. Had similar conversations with the Czechs and slovaks .

·
Premium Member
7,407 Posts
Well my company may have to shut down temporarily soon as we cannot get raw materials in from the EU. We are about to run out of stock and won't get more for about 3 weeks.
Why cant you get it in.is there a shortage of ally in the eu. Have you noticed prices rising.

Steel has just gone up.think im paying a 100% more than a year ago on sheets.nothing to do with brexit mind

·
Premium Member
14,196 Posts
I'm not focusing on things coming from China, but from other EU countries.
For example, say Telecomms equipment. why is it all major mobile phone operators use every single brand except a British brand?because there isnt one. Even simple things like repeaters are American - one of the big players on residential and enterprise repeaters.

Yes Huawei has been kicked out of the core network, hell, even the great British Telecom uses Huawei in all their core and ho my that will cost a few millions to replace.
but what else is there to use? Well... Nokia, Ericsson... Samsung... there's no British brand.
but the UK has not put any R&R in any of this.. so there isn't one technology that can be bought here.

this is just an example. there's a lot more stuff that simply cannot and will never be invented, researched, marketed and produced over here, because there was never a need for it, so the uk is miles behind.

Have a google for the recent tech booming.. OpenRAN. not a single british company has jumped on the bandwagon. (well, some have, but selling other countries products)
and i wasn't talking about tech.

·
Registered
12,494 Posts
People will quickly jump on the bandwagon, complaining that the loss of UK engineering, technical and manufacturing companies is all down to UK buyers choosing overseas companies rather than sourcing 'home grown' (even when price and quality are equal) - one needs to remember that whilst the overseas based companies may be based in other countries (and UK generated profits will most likely go back to 'home' country in one form or another) the organisations marketing and selling the products are generally UK companies - it's their staff (British staff) who is doing 'the job' on their fellow UK citizens. But it goes much, much further than that doesn't it?. The UK management structure of these companies was in many cases (and still is 'old school tie' - all looking after their own bum chums) - with not the slightest interest in the welfare of UK working class people - only interested in bonus's and golden handshakes. Couple that historically with certain radical union leaders and it was always going to end in tears. Hasn't changed much either with 'management' on even larger salary and bonus packages. Much the same with government really - f*ck-up and get moved to a better paid position with a golden handshake and a healthy pension at the end of it.........

Reactions: tuckers

·
Registered
523 Posts
Well... this could be good news for small companies over here to maybe, under manufacturer permission, manufacture replacement parts and offer a repair service....
However it's kind of an interesting one.... out of EU, but implementing EU rules.... haha

·
Administrator
9,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Why cant you get it in.is there a shortage of ally in the eu. Have you noticed prices rising.

Steel has just gone up.think im paying a 100% more than a year ago on sheets.nothing to do with brexit mind
Ally is not the problem - we get that from Norway.
It's the foam for the cases - just can't get it at present, also all the case fittings from Germany, although the Germans have found an (expensive) workaround for that for the time being. The issue is pallets - anything on a pallet is held up for weeks and gets massive charges added. Taking it off pallets and shipping in boxes costs a fortune but does bypass the hold ups. Unfortunately sheet plywood and larger stuff we import can't be shipped this way. I have shipments in customs that left our factory on the 18th Jan, customers are (rightly) furious with us for not supplying the goods they have paid for.
It's a right fuck up at the moment.

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
The BREXIT fuck up that is affecting my business goes back to the beginning of BREXIT' when the referendum happened the pound fell against the euro pushing the cost of new boats (which are mostly built in the EU) up. Also made British second hand boats cheaper and a lot went to Europe, now there is a shortage of good, late model medium sized boats ( which means a potential shortage of work for me)

·
Registered
3,470 Posts
The BREXIT fuck up that is affecting my business goes back to the beginning of BREXIT' when the referendum happened the pound fell against the euro pushing the cost of new boats (which are mostly built in the EU) up. Also made British second hand boats cheaper and a lot went to Europe, now there is a shortage of good, late model medium sized boats ( which means a potential shortage of work for me)
Isn't that a "first world problem" a shortage of yachts......

·
Administrator
9,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
is that UK stopping the pallets coming in, or EU stopping them going out?
Both I think.
It's not so much stopping as all the extra paperwork involved, if its not correct then it all gets held up. As such there are now ten of thousands of pallets in the hubs waiting for customs clearance. It seems to be both sides of the channel. The delays began when they started to park up the trucks in December, it's still not caught up with the backlog.

·
Premium Member
7,407 Posts
What are you going to do in the future mark.

Look for parts outside the eu so they come through quicker or just plan say two months ahead instead of one.

Did hear something about it being a bit financial as well.the delivery company,s pay the duties and vat up front,then bill the customer. But now tyey have to pay upfront for a few million more parcels.

Im still a bit confused about this.

Are we paying duties on parts from the eu,or is it just the vat and a handling charge.

·
Nowheresville
3,035 Posts
I needed an M40x1 tap recently for thread cleaning and couldn't justify the £250 - £300 for a top quality one. Tried to get a Volkel one (German brand but likely made in China) but as it wasn't in stock in this country I would have to wait four weeks as instead of sending regular parcels to their UK distributors they are now only sending by pallet and quoting a four week lead time. Whether that is entirely down to the additional paperwork or just price gouging by the shipping companies I don't know. Unfortunately the only solution was a cheap and nasty Chinese one for a quarter of the price and delivered in less than two weeks.

On JP's point about there not being any UK telecomms manufacturers, that can be laid squarely on BT. Having the monopoly on the phone service and infrastructure they deliberately held back on the likes of broadband and internet equipment development because it meant they could extort large companies for the service instead of getting it out to everyone and benefiting from economies of scale. The management and shareholders just went for their short-term gain, to the massive detriment of the UK as a whole.

·
Administrator
9,650 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Wayne, I think long term it will settle down again and deliveries 'should' go back to the normal 3-5 day service.

What has changed is the free shipping offered by companies is now a thing of the past. For my main German supplier I was talking with today, I now have to pay £160.00 shipping charges and an additional £53.56 customs fee for every shipment. This increases costs for those particular items by 25% to us! Prices will need to rise for our products - while customers are squeezing us for cheaper prices as they are cutting costs.

On the news today, exports to Europe since Brexit are 40% down - this is an absolutely catastrophic amount, exports to the rest of the world are down 19% which is still huge, not exactly making Britain great again is it? - pretty sobering figures.

Some gains will obviously return after Covid & when the borders settle down - but it's not going to be as good as before.

In regards duties or VAT - neither, that remains the same. The 'extra' is the customs charges, I think this is due to the extra paperwork/manpower to process it which all has a cost.

·
Premium Member
7,407 Posts
im a little lost.

it costs the same to ship today as it did the day befor bexit.

so where and why is there suddenly a a £160 bill for youre shipping.

i kinda get the customs fees,but are they using a completely different system,than when we import from the rest of the world.

my fees and shipping costs from the usa havnt changed at all.

theres a lot of company,s making a lot of money for nothing.

even the vat thing hasnt changed really.you either pay it over there or when it arrives. the odd percentage in vat differences between countries is negligable

·
Nowheresville
3,035 Posts
Wayne, shipping costs have risen a lot worldwide, due to COVID mainly, plus the shipping companies seeing an opportunity to squeeze their customers. Lots of air parcel shipping was carried in passenger planes, and since that has dropped off a cliff there is less cheap capacity available. I think some of the bigger companies had their own planes but many don't.

Also, not sure exactly why, but containers from China and the far east were around £2 - £3K to the UK and I think are something like 3 or 4 times that now. I think it was again reduced traffic meaning there weren't as many moving around the main routes, leaving shortages where they're needed.

41 - 60 of 66 Posts