Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just sold a 2000e three rail gearbox on e bay id number on box is 2821e 7006 , it was collected yesterday and the buyer is saying now its a standard box, not 2000e . i thought all 3 rail boxs were 2000e , he is saying it goes round 3.5 tmes in first gear and it should go round in under three, also third gear only has 21 teeth and needs 23 to be 2000e . could someone please let me know if he is right as he seams to know his stuff. if he knew all this today i would have thought he would have checked it yesterday when he collected it.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Im afraid he is correct, 23 teeth on 3rd designates it as a 2000E box,
There were more than 2 versions built into that case, the other often quoted error is "if it has a reversing light switch its a 2000E" ----WRONG.
There were Lotus versions with a different first ratio, I would not be surprised to find 105Es with that casting number, as its only a casting ID, not an ID for internals
Fords were pretty good at using up spares on the end of range cars, it wasn't unusual to find a L Block in a 1500 Cortina so you might find a 2821e case anywhere,

·
Premium Member
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks for the replies guys, i sold it thinking it was a 2000e trouble is he has the box now and i cant check it, i have said if he returns the box i will refund him, thanks again for your help

·
Registered
5,236 Posts
i always put them in second gear to check should be about 2 turns to one in second, the reversing light switch as said isnt proof but some 2000e boxes have got one at the gearstick end not at the front as a matter of interest how much did he pay and had it got a gearstick?
there are some single rail 2000e boxes available from later gt and 1600e/lotus cortinas

·
Premium Member
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i always put them in second gear to check should be about 2 turns to one in second, the reversing light switch as said isnt proof but some 2000e boxes have got one at the gearstick end not at the front as a matter of interest how much did he pay and had it got a gearstick?
there are some single rail 2000e boxes available from later gt and 1600e/lotus cortinas
he paid £155 it had a gearstick and cable operated bellhousing

·
Registered
5,236 Posts
i sold a real one to a dealer friend of mine a few weeks ago for £250.00 so at £155 he should have checked and not too worried whether it was or not

·
Premium Member
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i sold a real one to a dealer friend of mine a few weeks ago for £250.00 so at £155 he should have checked and not too worried whether it was or not
it turns out the tail section and bellhousing are 2000e , he is after a refund telling me its only worth £50. i have said he can return it and have a full refund, but he is asking me to send him £100. we are in negotiation!

·
Registered
5,236 Posts
no a 2000e has got a hydraulic bellhousing the 2000e bit can be the same casing its only the gears that make it a proper 2000e

1 - 9 of 9 Posts