Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Compulsive chicken choker
6,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't want to hijack the other thread running as my question is a bit different. I have a '57 Ford Ranchero (car based pickup for those not familiar) which comes from the factory with a 9" back axle. Now the drums are cracked, wheel cylinders need rebuilding and the handbrake levers etc are missing.

The front brakes have been converted to discs so I've been considering doing the same to the 9" as the cost for rebuilding the drums won't be much more than converting to discs (only guessing here!).

Question is, will discs on the back cause the back end to lock up under heavy braking (considering the lack of weight over the back end)? Is the conversion worth it for a street driven car? How effective are the handbrakes on calipers?

The only caliper operated handbrakes I've ever come across were on a Shitroen Xantia where the handbrake operated the front brakes and it was quite an effective but odd system.

·
Dragging not Bragging
5,718 Posts
The Ford sierra/granada range use calipers with the handbrake and would say that even empty the weight wouldnt be much different ............ When i got my 9" it came with discs and calipers but they were factory things and were bloody huge so bin'd them

Theres also the Vauxhall zafira which are about the same price :tup:

Price wise your looking at about £50+ each (recon from Brake Parts for Cars (https://safe.brakeparts.co.uk/loadnew.html)

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
I fitted a brake bias valve in the line, as i would have thought disks to be a lot better.

·
Compulsive chicken choker
6,411 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, I've just been told by someone on a US forum that 1990's Ford Crown Victoria rear brakes are a bolt on swap, sounds too good to be true so I'm going to see if anyone else on there agrees. Mind you, Crown Victorias aren't exactly common in breakers yards.........

·
Registered
790 Posts
might not help-but i used volvo discs and mondeo rear calipers on an 8 inch. if you find some discs to fit the calipers should be the easy bit.

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
In my real world experience the handbrake is shit, although I had Scorpio calipers on Merc discs, and they were kinda fooked (the calipers)...

Merc W123/124 discs are the ones to be had (the solid ones, not vented) and you can either knock up some caliper mounts or buy some off the shelf (I think).

And I would use a bias valve for the rears, you could even get one that adjusts with weight (in the bed/towing etc)...

·
Registered
388 Posts
Ford Sierra calipers are a good option and the hand brake is one of the best around and very simple. Rallye Design (Professional Motorsport Parts, Spares & Rally Equipment from Rally Design) do a weld on kit to convert english and atlas axles so see no reason why a 9" wouldnt (I am no 9" expert) work the same, brakets may need to be extended a little but that would be no problem. They also do bias valves etc etc.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts