Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Right I've been on this now for a while , cos I saw a top toy a few years back ... ford Model Y in Black, Jag rear etc etc looked ace .... Also I am of the original Hot Wheels generation and have a very nice , well it's rather well used now, anyhow it's a Ford Vicky..... Now all I have been trying to do is find what the original differences are so when /If I ever get to shove one in my shed I know what I'm starting with... As ever the great Web is fine for 90% of stuff....

So to me it seems the Vicky was built on a Model A chassis to give rear room , but may also have been done on a B chassis too.. up to 1934 , however in 1932 there is also listed the Ford Model Y , so is that teh same car but with just the new Y block V8 or not... or was the 'Vicky' wheelbase lengthed to become the model Y as they both seem to be availble between 32 and 34....

I'm guessing that for most people they are essentially the same but I was just wondering if anyone has a definitive bit of info...

Anyhow bottom line is I want one so I can build it into a HotWheels style car, for me to run about in ..

I love Trad Rods and Rats and even the full on Bling chrome things , but I want the full on cartoon look which I guess I'll have to build myself but I need a start point..

Cheers :S

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
hi action man
welcome to the forum.
victorias "vicky,s" were a ford bodystyle part way between a coupe and a sedan based on an american chassis late model A onwards.
model Y was based on a smaller chassis for the british market sized to compete with the likes of the austin 7 with a smaller engine to fit the cheaper tax brackets of the time.
a bit of time on google/wikipedia will give you more background and save folks a lot of typing LOL

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks Gents , I'll scan through all them ..... WannaB , I did the google / Wiki thing and that's where the problem started , I thought I had it all sorted then I read a trillion things and got all confused again.... Off for a coffe to rev me up

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just to finish this one off, In case anyone else but me wnted to know all this....

According to what I can find...
The Model Y is not a reconised model from the Ford catalogue, well not all reports so it as one.

1930 /31 model A chassis 103.5"... available in several body styles inc Victoria and Sedan

1932 Model B chassis increased in length to 106" and introduction of Model 18 with the new 'Y-block' V8 flathead... Victoria and Sedan both availble

1933/34 Model C chassis increased length up to 112" and introduction of Model 40 ...Victoria and sedan both available

Then we get on to the CX , 48/68 etc etc etc

WannaB is correct the 'Y' was for Europe markets and not for the USA .... and they then made a 2 door version that sold for £100..

Other sites have the Y as a real model .... ref Model Y & C register and Owners Club

So to ans me own question it seems they are all essentially the same car in the same year , just different body styles.....

So a Vicky would be nice , cos the back looks nice and the whole look is smaller.... cept since I doubt it'll be easy , or cheap, to find one over here then a Model Y would be just fine , which I guess is why I was looking out for the one I saw a while back ...... Reg no SFF 427, so if anyone knows where it is ?!?!?!?!?!

·
Registered
1,906 Posts
the earliest vicky on your list is the 30/31 model A which i beleive is correct but i have seen a pic of an earlier 29/29 style model A vicky at a european rod run?.
i,m guessing that it was a "phantom" but i would be interested to hear if Ford did make any early style A vicky,s.
for me the 32 model B/18 vicky was one of the most beautiful cars ever [ clues in the name "wanna B" LOL] others may disagree.

also take a look at the model 40 victoria sold in 33/34 as they were produced in two different styles "flat back" and "bustle back".

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
WannaB .... yup I gotta say I love the look of em and a nice change from the usual , but very cool, 5 n 3's . I'll be saving up and looking for one ASAP,,,, But the 'Y' being more euro I guess one will be easier to find and a couple I have seen with the backs cut down do look pretty awsome..

As for the total correct history or acuracy of them, well if they are owt like Triumph then the books will say one thing but the guys who worked there tell very different tales of what when out the door. So for me I like the history but I don't do std so things become a lot easier

·
Registered
58 Posts
1930 was the first year for the model A Victoria ,as I understand there are only three Vickys in the country although I have only seen proof of two, my one and another that is fully restored to original in Scotland.Heres mine....

·
Registered
661 Posts
to sum it all up properly, the vicky and Y are definately different cars, modelwise, sizewise and side-of-the-atlantic-wise!

the vicky is a bustle backed body style (fitting between coupe and sedan), whereas the Y is a REAL car built at dagenham ! the original and only £100 car!

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Steve d ... cheers ... I'm 6ft an all so if you fit at least it's a start , since I do want to be able to drive the thing long distances, cos everywhere is a long way from me... BTW, I'm liking the faded Blue deal

bri33y .... looking good ... top pic an all too , shows off well how much a modded one changed an original.

1930vicky .... now I do like that ,,,,, and the colour would go well with my Triumph ..... errr only 3 in the country:shocked:.. errr guess I'll not bother looking for one then :sniff: ..... However since it was a Y I saw first that really took my eye then I'll look at them...

BTW if any ever sees SFF 427.... I'd be interested

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yup thats nice... I'm guessing a 34 sedan in LHD is about the same as the Model Y we got over here.... poss a bit bigger or longer or summat , anyhow looks fine to me.... errr cept it's $15000 which I guess would no doubt be £15000 :(by the time it got here then a Rod job on it would be another £10k:cool:..... errrr dunno bout some folk but thats a pile of cash ..... I best get some OT rammed in at work for a couple of years :(

·
Premium Member
5,809 Posts
You seem to be struggling with the concept of scale as far as I can see.

The Model Y was Ford's answer to the Austin Seven in broad terms. It is an 'English' size car, slightly samaller than the Ford Popular we all know and love.

As has been said already, the Vicky, or properly, the Victoria is otherwise known as a five passenger coupe, whether model A, Model B/18, Model C/40, is a totally different animal. Bigger all round. For what it's worth, I'd ditch wherever the description posted earlier came from, without being unkind it is totally innaccurate at best but total bollocks in truth.

Hang around here a while and there will be enough people with real experience to give you all the help you need.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
model Y was designed here first and then was scaled up for the US market and became the '34. model Y is nowhere near the size of the US cars, they are tiny in comparison - over all a model Y including bumpers is 140inches long whereas a 1934 vicky is 180 inches long so a 34 is nearly 4 ft longer. likewise although the model C/CX look like 35/36's they are tiny in comparison when side by side. they are both about the same size as a ford pop.
uk models
model Y wheelbase is 78 inches
model C/CX wheelbase is 90 inches

us models
model A wheelbase is 103.5 inches
model B wheelbase is 106 inches
1933 US ford is 112 inches, 34 is the same, 35/36 is 112 inches as well

the years of the cars are also referred to by model no., here are the US versions.

1932 - model 18
1933 - model 40
1934 - model 40A
1935 - model 48
1936 - model 68
1937 - model 78
1938 - model 81A
1939 - model 91A

differing body styles also had different numbers so for instance in 1935 the US cars were given the following body nos.

tudor sedan/touring sedan was body no. 700
roadster was 710
3w coupe was 720
fordor sedan was 730
conert. sedan was 740
phaeton was 750
cabriolet was 760
5w coupe was 770

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,202 Posts
Are the doors on a 35/6 much shorter tha 34s Mark On the pictures I've seen there looks to be a lot more plain panel behind the B post on a 35/6 compared to a 33/4?

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
kev different models have different sized doors, here are the more popular ones, if you need something specific let me know.

3w 34 door on the beltline is 38 13/64
3w 35 door on the beltline is 34 1/4

5w 34 door on the beltline is 30
5w 35 door on the beltline is 34 1/4

cabriolet 34 door on the beltline is 33 13/64
cabriolet 35 door on the beltline is 40

roadster 34 door on the beltline is 28 3/4
roadster 35 door on the beltline is 34 1/4

brian brought his '33 up here to have some work done up the road and the '33 compared to the '35 is tiny in height, width and length, i thought the '33 was a scaled down version its that small compared to the '35.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
So we seem to have established that the Y is small and the 34 Tudor is big , well bigger ... and the Vicky is bigger than a Y but poss somtimes smaller than a 34 , I guess depending on which model chassis each one sits on..... and the fact I'm unlikely to find a Vicky in the UK and assuming I'll not be importing one , errr cos I'm guessing it's fraught with hassle and hidden cost unless you pay to get it sorted etc etc..

So What I need is, a sit in a Y and a 34 Sedan.... then I need a whole heap of cash :eek:... Then I can start looking for one..:smoke:

BTW how come 3 and 5 window coupes are so much more expensive than the rest of em..... since they are essentially , well originally anyway, built on the same chassis .... The do look well cool and all that , and you can buy new bodies and stuff ..... is it just that they made so few originally that original ones are dear, well the steel bit is,,,,, But that would suggest that a repro coupe body should be way cheaper than a repro sedan body...

However with all my pic searching .... I have also noticed some well smart looking 100E's out there.... They look so cool with big axels in em , an probably go like stink with just a moder 2.0 lit lump in there :cool:

·
Registered
661 Posts
a simple analogy is thus...

think of the ford Y as the proper old BL mini, and think of the 34 ford as the new BMW mini.

they basically look the same, and have the same styling cues, but side by side one is HUGE compared to the other.

i have got a picture somewhere of my Y beside a 34, but i can't find it!!! typical

1 - 20 of 24 Posts