Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,062 Posts
That's really neat, I wouldn't touch the body if there's no bad rust, just drive it about a bit for the rest of the summer while having a think about what to do.

I certainly wouldn't rip into it just yet, but it can be made into a great rod within the 8 points rules.

Does need a small chop though :)

·
Premium Member
14,196 Posts
yep, definately use it as is for the rest of this 'season' then carry out the mod's over the winter.
neil.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers Guys, I have been thinking of doing subtle changes, like brake upgrades etc. and fancy putting a pinto in.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
a little update, I have decided to purchase a pinto engine, with 105e brakes all round. so I will now be looking for a type 9 box which my purchase is suited to. I will keep my poast going with pics as I begin the works.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Good luck with that hunt for a Type 9 box. Not quite as cheap, or as available, as they once were. You might get one still attached to the Pinto engine.

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,052 Posts
The chances of getting a pinto and type 9 in within 8 points are minimal . If you want to keep it 8 points you need a physically smaller set up such as 1256 or 1500 Spitfire and box.

A tweaked Reliant Robin engine nad box will see a quick economical and well handling car.

·
Premium Member
14,196 Posts
agreed, the engine and box would need to be mounted really high in the chassis to clear the crossmembers. not ideal. maybe look at an mx5 engine and box, much smaller and lighter than a pinto and type 9. much cheaper too.
neil.

·
Premium Member
14,196 Posts
oh and i have to mention the 105e brakes too, they were marginal on anglia's with a 997 engine. they're definately not up to stopping a car with a pinto or similar in.
neil.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
ok thanks, I will review my thoughts and see where it goes.....keep you poasted

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,052 Posts
The usual conversion on the front can use Angli hubs but adapted to disc brakes. GT6 / Vitesse brakes can also be adapted with some bearing juggling. Don't use Herald / Spitfire brakes aas although they look the same they are far less powerful.

·
Grown up? Never!
2,171 Posts
Can I add my 2p?
If you are going down the 8 points rule and keeping the front axle, transverse springs, adapting different brakes, keeping the steering etc etc…
…all nice trad mods…
…please don’t fit an over weight pinto, how about a nice 1275 A-series? Or a crossflow or even a pre-crossflow? Much more in keeping.
I’ve said it, I’ll leave you to it :)

Chaley

·
Premium Member
14,196 Posts
Can I add my 2p?
If you are going down the 8 points rule and keeping the front axle, transverse springs, adapting different brakes, keeping the steering etc etc…
…all nice trad mods…
…please don't fit an over weight pinto, how about a nice 1275 A-series? Or a crossflow or even a pre-crossflow? Much more in keeping.
I've said it, I'll leave you to it :)

Chaley
that's one reason i said mx5 because they're light. and apart from the injection (which can be swapped for carbs) they look quite similar to an old lotus or fiat twin cam with their ally rocker cover.
neil.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I've always liked the idea of taking a modern engine such as the MX5 or the early Supra and 'dressing it up' to look old. Maybe even hiding injectors in a carb body, that kind of thing. Remove all the plastic, older fixtures and fittings.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts