Rods 'n' Sods banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
861 Posts
Another route to go is make up a complete new chassis, using the car as a guide, that way you can use whatever suspension, engine and driveline you want without botching up your nice Y.
Your options then become unlimited, and not as hard as it first may seem. :D
....and you might be able to do it with one donor car ??

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
interesting options there, I have been looking at the MX5 engine option and typical just flogged 1172 pop engine as I had it hanging around for ages and got cheesed off moving it....then I buy this motor :S

·
Premium Member
14,075 Posts
Or use a later Ford Pop 1172 engine and box with all the Aquaplane gear!
and he thought a pinto was expensive these days, aquaplane stuff is horrendous money!
neil.

·
Registered
840 Posts
that's one reason i said mx5 because they're light. and apart from the injection (which can be swapped for carbs) they look quite similar to an old lotus or fiat twin cam with their ally rocker cover.
neil.
Is it possible to retro fit an MX5 with carbs? The engine would look brilliant with a pair of SUs. What do they have in the way of ignition? I'm guessing not a distributor.

·
Premium Member
14,075 Posts
Is it possible to retro fit an MX5 with carbs? The engine would look brilliant with a pair of SUs. What do they have in the way of ignition? I'm guessing not a distributor.
looks like a coil pack so no dizzy. ford edis4 module and coil pack it is then. tuck the coil pack under the carbs with plug leads coming up as if from a dizzy and the deception's complete.
talking of carbs.....https://danstengineering.co.uk/Mk1-MX5-18-Bike-Carb-Conversion-Kit-37mm-starter-kit
neil.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Luv them y's ..... I'd wipe it over with an Oily Rag.... and have to say...the RED grill, for me would be a good scrub with a scotchbrite pad

21 - 28 of 28 Posts