Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
The Camino Kid
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All. I thought this would be of interest to you guys. It was posted by a guy on one of the pages i'm on on F/book. It's called a Ford Shay and was apparently offered as a new car back in the 80's. Powered by a Mustang 4 cyl and 3spd auto, rack and pinion steering etc it was basically a Model A cabrio but with all the benefits of modern(ish) motoring. If you look through the classifieds they seem to got for reasonable money at under 10k for a low milage example. Here's the link. Rog.
Shay Model A Roadster

·
The Camino Kid
1,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I know of one in rodded form in this country , bulletproof :tup:
They do seem such good value for money don't they. I'm surprised more people over here haven't used them. It would be such an easy way build a cool economical rod. just a shame they don't do a coupe version. Rog.

·
I'm Not Jed Clampett
2,725 Posts
Seen quite a few of these in the States, they don't seem expensive as you say. The cars look quite convincing till you get close up, but one thing I'd change would be the obviously 1980's steering column, I suppose that it was necessary for safety etc. legislation when the car was made, but it does look horribly out of place IMO.

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,141 Posts
That's the downfall of many kit car style builds, readily available components as opposed to creating something that meets the safety requirements but looks in keeping with the vehicle styling.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts