Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Administrator
10,032 Posts
Worse - I like the idea of watching the F1 - but it does not hold my attention and the dull engine noise less so.

Bit like Le Mans cars - the turbo deisels are the dullest to watch even though they are the fastest -whereas the V8 Corvettes and their glorious deep rumble makes the hairs on your arms stand up as they go by.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
its taken away a big part of the spectator tv experience, I watched about half the race and turned off, its just lost so much appeal, bit like everything else in this modern safe sterile world we now have, dull.

·
Registered
662 Posts
that's what the Aussie GP promoters thought...

Formula One cars not loud enough, says Australian Grand Prix organiser | Sport | theguardian.com

so bernie says he'll sort it
Bernie Ecclestone promises 'noisier' F1 cars as promoter of Australian Grand Prix could sue - Telegraph

not sure how, as it's the turbos taking all the noise out of the system....

the vid pretty much sums it up! with the incar footage i thought i was listening to an 80's racing game

did you notice no ear defenders in the second half of the vid???

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Mikes I was their too !! Jesus they where awesome !!:rule:

met don panoz in the hotel he signed my sons t shirt .Have to say he was a miserable bastard and we got mum to hot wash the t shirt and it came out fortunately !:grr:

·
richard rawlplug
8,161 Posts
Bring back the flame spitters from the good old days.

·
Registered
947 Posts
I was at Le Mans when the Panoz were running, they sounded amazing
I was there in 1999 or 2000 (drink dulled memory) the radio said of the Panoz goes like lightening sounds like thunder, the very first time I heard it I looked up in the sky to see where the spitfire was! absolutely brilliant sound and so different from the flying mercedes, bmw's and the Audi's.

·
Premium Member
1,797 Posts
its taken away a big part of the spectator tv experience, I watched about half the race and turned off, its just lost so much appeal, bit like everything else in this modern safe sterile world we now have, dull.
Exactly that. I done the same, then tried to watch more of it last night and just got bored. I loved formula 1 until now.

·
Administrator
14,116 Posts
there was a guy on the radio today saying that they could do nothing about the sound this season as they would have to allow the engines to rev higher and this would use more fuel and need bigger fuel tanks

·
Registered
467 Posts
I agree with all the above, I even got bored with the "high lights" on the BBC, and I thought the Video was great for showing the difference.

Any Idea what the Turbo boost pressure is, as I imagined before the season started that the engine would be more "forced" giving a better sound, but I suppose it has something to do with fuel saving.....

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
Very little in motorsport improves, BTCC has gone to the dogs since they followed the ETCC rules to keep costs down, Bring back the 80s/90s.
F1 now sounds sterile, much like indycars, both sound like wet farts.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts