Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Idon,t know what people thin of this ,but in resent years i think thing in the custom seen has gone stayill i e the way cars are put together like all the pop 34 32 A hot rods in general are built the same way .Is it because you can,t go into a scrap yard anymore to use of cars .I do remember a pop that had a citeron light switch taken off the steering collum and putin the center of the car the steering coming through your legs back seat driving a 32 that was driven with a center driving position . the carsmy be diffrent colours but thats about it

·
Registered
40 Posts
I tend to agree in some respects that things have gone stale, but it happens all the time really...
People either try to replicate aspects of cars they've seen, some people might just be scared to try something different. But every now and then theres still an original out there.
The whole rat scene at the moment seems to have replaced the general "scrap / build what you can" aspect, and theres some pretty decent stuff knocking around.
Cost probably isnt helping, and the current state of money in general, but who knows.

But I would imagine most people just go with what they know, or what others have done... without risking doing something completely different

Theres still some original stuff out there, and to come, I think we just have to look a bit harder now thats all ;)

Personally, I love the idea of having something unique, for me its the whole point of owning / driving a classic, but others have their own POV.
When I eventually do buy another project I will be definatly scouring scrapyards and random shite on ebay that I think would look cool on it... think outside of the box n all that :D

·
/////////\\\\\\\\\
660 Posts
I think the Custom scene has matured.

From my understanding of your comments I agree many rods/customs look the same these days, just different colours but perhaps the ideas for the mainstream builder have peaked and almost every conceivable concept tried out. The last memorable car that I saw (in the metal/plastic/filler) that really stood out like this was Andy Saunders' Concept 2000X (and even that was a recreation from a photograph). I'm sure there are others, and no doubt will be corrected.

People have to look harder to see the innovation within these custom cars and perhaps the engineering quality is now the benchmark to aim for rather than going for a wild impractical look.

Bear in mind it's the younger generation that often created these wild customs of yester-year and where working on cars that were twenty years old or more themselves back in the day. Go back twenty years from now and you're looking at Sierra/Vectra and similar as material to work with.

Just my take on it and my mind is open enough to change...

Dom

·
Registered
40 Posts
People have to look harder to see the innovation within these custom cars and perhaps the engineering quality is now the benchmark to aim for rather than going for a wild impractical look.
Pretty much how I think,
and a very good point about the age of cars vs generations etc, the custom car scene is thriving with all sorts of 'newer' cars (what I would consider new.. like anything past the 80s lol)
some of the old golfs & skylines ive seen have huuuge amounts of custom work, but because its not really my bag, I overlook it... but its probably the modern day equiv

1 - 5 of 5 Posts