Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What a fucking day, gets a call of Lise to say the Megane has stopped working with a clunk....

Rushes out of work to find it has done the cambelt.

It has been recovered to home where it awaits its fate, it's not going to be repaired as it's not financially viable.

Not sure whether to ebay it for spares/repairs or to weigh it in.

Anyone got anything decent/reliable/cheap for sale for a daily/school run kinda thing???

·
Premium Member
2,484 Posts
Offer it on ebay 1st mate or facebook have cars for sale pages locally , you should get more than scrap money for it .

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,141 Posts
Not worth repairing for sure Guy. Oneof ours did teh belt and pulling in favours it still cost me £700+ to fix. I wouldn't have bothered myself if I hadn't out £400 of tyres on it the day before.

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Just been to look at a cheap Puma, he has offered us £200 (for the Megane) without seeing it due to the spec, and we have said we want the Puma...

Hope it's not frying pan into the fire...???

·
Registered
628 Posts
A puma is a four seater, what year and engine are you going for?

If it's a later 1.7 model youl be surprised at how well they handle and how hard they rev I got one for the missus for Christmas and she loves it just look for sills and rear arches and make sure the windows open and shut fully as the seals are the door frame

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
We have three kids, but it's only going to be used for the school run, and two of them get the bus, so it'll just be the two girls...!!!

It's a 2000 1.7 with crusty rear arches, and I'm gonna get the cambelt changed as soon as I get it as there is no history on it (105k)

I'll still be using the Vectra...!!!

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Plus he is taking the Megane to break, we are giving him £300 for the Puma with a 12 month ticket.

·
Compulsive chicken choker
6,369 Posts
Never seen a Puma without rusty rear arches, next door have a lovely low mileage 2002 model, immaculate except for the arches! Apparently there's some sort of sound deadening material in the area which makes it worse. No-one does repair panels, but hand made panels can be imported from Germany, but most people use Peugeot 206 front wings as the arch profile is (apparently) the same, obviously they just cut away the arch section from the wing and graft it in.

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Too late, it's gone and the Puma is on the drive...

TBH I/we couldn't afford the parts/labour costs, I priced up recon head/head set/head bolts off ebay the other night and got to £450, then there is the fitting etc.

The Puma cost us £300 and the Megane.

·
Registered
634 Posts
I always said to myself, "never buy a French car". Didn't take much notice and bought 3 of the sacks of shit! Yep. They all broke down. 1 engine blow up and two gearboxes! Got a Focus now. Lesson learnt!

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

1 - 13 of 13 Posts