Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, I am now putting some parts together for my diesel project and was hoping to get some fuel line in stock ready. What is best guys?
It's the full line from tank to engine.
Thanks for looking :)

·
Registered
5,698 Posts
What do you want???

Rubber??

Steel??

Ali??

Braided hose???

·
Registered
301 Posts
get a 10 metre roll of 8mm or 10mm copper tube from a plumbers merchant not a diy store. 10 metre is a stock size and will be plenty for a return to the tank.Also there are stock fittings available if you need to make extra connections to the tank.Hope this helps

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys, I don't really know what's best to go for as need to replace from front to rear and add a return.
It must be safe, legal and be able to last against diesel.
Copper pipe sounds a good idea. Many people use that??
Thank you for the replies guys :)

·
Heavy Oiler
2,504 Posts
Copper or Kunifer "P" clipped to the chassis, and diesel fuel hose from chassis to engine and chassis to tank. Don't forget to include a diesel fuel filter if there is not one on the engine (they are different to petrol filters) The return fitting on the tank should ideally mounted on the top of the tank, and the end be submerged in the fuel.

EDIT: Fuel hose to BS EN ISO 16147:2002 will be fine.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you col, does it matter if the return only drops into the top and doesn't go to bottom of tank internally?
What would be the best way of adding a return, I had thought of drilling a hole and chemical metal a piece of copper tube into it.
A little worried about welding to it tbh :-(

·
Heavy Oiler
2,504 Posts
Thank you col, does it matter if the return only drops into the top and doesn't go to bottom of tank internally?
What would be the best way of adding a return, I had thought of drilling a hole and chemical metal a piece of copper tube into it.
A little worried about welding to it tbh :-(
What about something ready made like a Landrover one? Just hole saw the right sized hole and drill and self tapper in place with a new gasket,

Return should go to bottom to stop possible air locks due to siphoning when engine is off and also to stop fuel becoming aerated.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts