Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking at buying a new welder and was considering a gasless mig, anyone use one and is it any good?

·
Registered
4,118 Posts
if i was you i woudnt, the wire is dear and on the one my mate has the wire is always live and he keeps getting a flash :shock:

by past experience i would buy the dearest one you can afford

·
Registered
727 Posts
I quite like the gasless mig, but most of my welding is done outside, so using gas would be a real pain. If you think of gassless mig as a wire fed arc welder, thats pretty much what it is. Good for heavy stuff, bit of a pain on thin stuff. The weld itself is no where near as pretty as a gas mig, due to the slag on the weld, but hit it with a wizz wheel and it looks just the same as mig.
If you can arc weld you'll prolly get on fine. If you are going from a gas mig, to a gasless mig, you will hate the gassless, this is what i find with most folk.
The wire is lots, lots dearer than normal mig wire (talkin 40 - 50 lids for a 5kg roll) but it dont go rusty like the normal stuff. Buy the best wire you can, it makes a big differance to the ease and weld quality, I have found that the ebay fodder wire is a waste of time, and infuriating to work with. Go to a welding shop, and use the one he recomends.
Martin.
P.s. when I'm welding inside I use normal wire and gas, the gasless stuf is very splatery and makes the clean up a pain.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Forgot, If it were me, I'd go for the best gas/gasless one (one that can do both) and dont get a live torch one.
Martin.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks for the replys guys, i can arc and mig weld so that should be ok, can spend a few quid on the right welder.
would be using it outside as i no longer have a workshop and don't really want to hire a large bottle like i used too.
will start looking around and then maybe list what i'm looking at for some feed back.

·
Compulsive chicken choker
6,411 Posts
My first MIG was a gasless one made by Maypole, this was a cheap version I bought around 1990. As others said, the torch on mine was also permenantly live which made life difficult and there was only two settings, high & low. High was okay for 16swg chassis/outrigger work but the low setting tended to blow holes in 20swg so you had to tack a bit at a time. Weld bead was very hard and there was a lot of distortion.

The wire is/was expensive, but it was handy for working outside.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
we use a clarke gassless/gas mig, torch only live when trigger is pressed and wire feed starts, it welds up to 5mm plate lovely, also has settings down to 1mm which it also does without problem with gasless wire. i have heard the welds can be brittle without gas? we are yet to have one break and we,ve tested many peices in various brutal ways -). around £200 should get you a good one, ours is 5 years old now and only bits we,v had to replace are the tips and the wire feed tube in the trigger

paul

1 - 8 of 8 Posts