Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Might seem a stupid question but is there a correct way to store glass particularly curved screen etc whilst the build is in progress. I am sure I have read somewhere that glass can distort if not stored correctly.

·
Registered
5,236 Posts
the best way to store glass is out of my mates way its much less likely to get broken then!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Compulsive chicken choker
6,363 Posts
The windscreen for my Ranchero is in a purpose built wooden crate (looks like a coffin!!!!) and has various bits of carpet etc between it and the crate for protection.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Must be true I do sealed units and if you lean big door or patio units against a wall on timber battens by the way a few days later and it's bent as a banana !!

·
Who promised you tomorrow
2,579 Posts
Once a glass has been shaped in a furnace that's how it stays, so don't worry about it distorting or bending, it can't!. Just keep it out the way, off the floor, in the dry and stored standing upright, not flat. The only real damage that can happen is if you catch the edge of the glass (it'll explode, shell or crack) or if water finds it's way in between laminated glass and delaminates it, sending the edges a milky colour. In the past I've wrapped some pipe insulation around them to help protect the edges just in case.

·
Registered
5,531 Posts
Glass never hardens and slowly flows to the bottom,ie get thinner at the top and thicker at the bottom ,but does take yrs though

·
Compulsive chicken choker
6,363 Posts
Glass never hardens and slowly flows to the bottom, ie get thinner at the top and thicker at the bottom ,but does take yrs though
I remember being told that at school, we were told if you measured a glass pane from an old church or similar it would be clearly thinner at the top.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts