Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
pulled the pan twice to try to cure the leak out of the gasket rail. Put on a new thicker gasket METICULOUSLY installed and still it leaks. I did not put sealer on gasket as I understand you are not supposed to. When the fluid drains down into the pan on turning off the engine it is going to be above the pan gasket surface right? I dont even know if I have the correct dipstick as it was already in the truck when I bought it.Maybe its over full.....any ideas as to why it keeps leaking??

·
Flange Dealer
642 Posts
If it is a pressed steel pan it may have "mole hilled" around the bolt holes (dented upwards) try hammering them flat as they will prevent the pan pulling up to the rail properley.
Yes , fluid will be well above the gasket.

·
drag race addict
1,392 Posts
Is it definetely the pan gasket? Like Paul says a cheap steel pan will indent the bolt holes after a few on/off's. Where is it leaking? front,side,back?

·
Registered
814 Posts
Just a thought, following redvictors post, have you checked the selector shaft seal? had one leak on my th350 a while ago, oil ran down, soaking the pan and made it look like a leaking gasket.

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Its a new pan one of those chrome ones with the drain plug. I trash canned the old steel one as it was leaking out of that too. Could be the selector shaft seal.I'll replace that and see what happens. It looks like its leaking out the front right corner as thats where the puddle on the garage floor is.

·
drag race addict
1,392 Posts
If it's right hand looking from the front it could be the seal. You'll need to get the pan off as the selector shaft has to be removed to change the seal. Put loctite on the outside of the seal to stop the oil ingressing past the case.
Sometimes i've had to put some sealer under the bolt heads to stop silly leaks off the pan gasket. Only a thin bead mind.

·
Dragging not Bragging
5,718 Posts
Could it not be the dipstick O ring if its the right hand front corner?
Depends if your in the car or looking at the car from the front Tony but i too was going to say dipstck tube, kick down cable or trans pipes on that side

I replaced my sump gasket and done the holes with a ball pein hammer and it tuned out to be kickdown hole ( i dont have cable fitted) :shock:

If its on the other side then youve got as Andy has said selector shaft or even speedo cable

And if its none of those then it could be the rear seal running down the casing before it drips (or is my box to high) :beuj:

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

I've pulled those seals before without pulling the pan using one of these nifty tools. The leak is on the right side looking out from inside the car. I may just pull the motor and trans to do it as its very tight in there as its in a Model A with not much room to see anything from under the car.

·
Dragging not Bragging
5,718 Posts
So the leak could be dipstick , kickdown , trans pipes , modulator ? (big round thing on the side) , or the vac unit at the rear then, as from memory there all down that side

Good luck :tup:

·
drag race addict
1,392 Posts

I've pulled those seals before without pulling the pan using one of these nifty tools. The leak is on the right side looking out from inside the car. I may just pull the motor and trans to do it as its very tight in there as its in a Model A with not much room to see anything from under the car.
That is a nifty tool. Only with the shift shaft in place how would you get that inside the seal? You could get it after the shaft is removed,but to do that you need to remove the pan anyway..:tup:
If it's the right side front from in the car i'd look at the dipstick and the seal under the kickdown cable for sure.

·
Sheep Shagger
858 Posts
I might not know what I'm talking about here, but I had a leak which was hard to find as it spread over the pan and it turned out to be coming from the speedo cable.
This was what I was told, I had no idea myself.

·
Registered
250 Posts
a trick way of finding oil leaks is
clean it all down then once all clean and dry dust it with talcum powder and then run it and as the leak spreads it will stain the talc and bingo leak traced
friend once had a triumph twin with a porous casting after lots of latting surfaces and gaskets talc found the source
ttfn glenn

·
Registered
2,422 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
That is a nifty tool. Only with the shift shaft in place how would you get that inside the seal? You could get it after the shaft is removed,but to do that you need to remove the pan anyway..:tup:
If it's the right side front from in the car i'd look at the dipstick and the seal under the kickdown cable for sure.
It screws into the seal like an easy out its hollow inside which enables the selector bolt to run inside the tool, then you tighten the outer bolt which butts up against the selecter shaft bolt and pulls out the seal. Tap the seal in with a socket of the appropriate size....worked for me before. Great tool to have.

·
The Camino Kid
1,169 Posts
As far as I'm concerned I would replace the chrome pan for a ally one. In my experience chrome and fluids don't work well together. It's hard as hell to get a good seal against chrome. I had a simlar problem on my Powerglide and couldn't get to the bottom of it. in the end I pulled the trans and rebuilt it myself with the help of a good friend. At least by doing that I know that everything is new and all gaskets and seals have been replaced. If, after all that, it still leaked i wasgoing to buy a pushbike...lol.

·
The returned
190 Posts
a trick way of finding oil leaks is
clean it all down then once all clean and dry dust it with talcum powder and then run it and as the leak spreads it will stain the talc and bingo leak traced
friend once had a triumph twin with a porous casting after lots of latting surfaces and gaskets talc found the source
ttfn glenn
funny how the simple ideas are normally the best eh , good tip :tup:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts