Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I had always had in mind getting rid of the injection system on my van, it's under powered and gobbles fuel for the size of engine. Now I'm not arsed about the fuel economy, but there must be more horses in there!

Now after a good chat with Eadys autos, simply swapping for carbs is a nono because my gearbox is controlled by the ECU, so what are my tuning options? It's the single throttle-body type injection by the way. How can I make the gearbox work without the ECU? It's a 4 speed autobox with overdrive. Manual gearbox conversion? Manual shift kit? Can the stock injection system be tuned? Direct port nitrous, could that be an option? Would getting rid of the catalytic converter have adverse affects on the running of the engine? The 02 sensor is on the manifold before the cat. Obviously good headers will help but what fuel delivery options do I have?

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
if the fuel injection / engine /gearbox are all working as they should maybe that is the best mileage it will get, you could end up spending morefor less.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
if the fuel injection / engine /gearbox are all working as they should maybe that is the best mileage it will get, you could end up spending morefor less.
It's not the mileage I'm trying to improve, it's just underpowered for the size of engine. 200 horses from 5.7 litres is far from acceptable, especially at single figure mpg for "normal" driving and just hitting 20 on a long run with overdrive in and cruise control set to 55. I could live with shocking mpg if it had the power but it just doesn't. If it was just mileage I was wanting to increase I would go LPG.

·
Premium Member
4,207 Posts
Dave,that set-up is Lazy,thirsty,and hard to play with,a good way forward would be a complete transplant,Goat,on here is selling/sold a good sbc/350 trans,bolt in for £600,00 in the for sale section,and there was a similar combo for sale a few weeks ago,so they do come up on a pretty regular basis,keep an eye out mate,the right thing will show up,Bry

·
Exceeded sell by date
7,741 Posts
http://www.compperformancegroupstor...Code=TC&Category_Code=TransmissionControlUnit

You'll be looking at one of these then.
One problem is that you are looking at interfering with a package which was designed to meet emission criteria. Depending upon the year you can't just start stripping off injection/cat etc without falling foul of the mot possibly. Bolting carb and headers onto a set up such as yours could make things worse. If you're serious about performance you maybe need to look into a complete engine package designed for late model performance and retaing emission capability for the legal side of things.

·
Registered
918 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Dave,that set-up is Lazy,thirsty,and hard to play with,a good way forward would be a complete transplant,Goat,on here is selling/sold a good sbc/350 trans,bolt in for £600,00 in the for sale section,and there was a similar combo for sale a few weeks ago,so they do come up on a pretty regular basis,keep an eye out mate,the right thing will show up,Bry
Cool will have a look dude.

http://www.compperformancegroupstor...Code=TC&Category_Code=TransmissionControlUnit

You'll be looking at one of these then.
One problem is that you are looking at interfering with a package which was designed to meet emission criteria. Depending upon the year you can't just start stripping off injection/cat etc without falling foul of the mot possibly. Bolting carb and headers onto a set up such as yours could make things worse. If you're serious about performance you maybe need to look into a complete engine package designed for late model performance and retaing emission capability for the legal side of things.
I'm not worried about emissions, it was designed for USA emissions laws not UK. For here being a 1990 van there is just a C02 test and thats it. I think a replacement engine and gearbox combo is the way forward. Cheers guys!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts