Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Gym Junkie
6,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For the life of me I can't see how this is going to work, how do you intregate a car that drives itself at just 25mph onto roads that are already congested with cars driven by people who are in such a hurry, clearly they are only going to be used around town but a car that just stops when it detects an obstruction is going to cause chaos.

BBC News - Google is to start building its own self-driving cars

For the record I quite like the idea of being able to get in a car and having it take me somewhere as it will keep me independant long after I'm to old to drive myself.

·
Premium Member
6,015 Posts
Suppose you can get home drunk too as technically you aren't driving
First thought that passed through my mind. Go to Billing, get slaughtered and then kick the iphoney thing up to get me home:incheek:

Seems the 3 USA states that have changes the law to allow driverless cars have already seen that one and made it an offense to use one whilst pissed. Bastards

Something about being in charge of a motor vehicle, which I believe is the term we use here in the UK.

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,128 Posts
Get used to it, it's where it's all heading. I'm glad to have enjoyed the glory years. With this as only one of the reasons, pull your finger out if you want to enjoy rodding while we can.

·
Registered
833 Posts
Where do these people come from.....it's technology for the sake of it....it's not needed and is just another step to us becoming drones.....I just hope that the first fatality with one of these things totally bankrupt Google in litigation costs.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Yeah, enjoy it while it lasts. If it wasn't for the money the classic scene brings in they'd have had us off the road years ago. I can see a time when we'll have permits or something.

This is the end of the golden age, go out in style!

·
Registered
639 Posts
what next electric cars ....
then running on track too ....
why just not improve the rail /road infrastructure first ...
instead of harebrained ideas....
i woulda thought retrofitting electric technology into '' our old cars'' would be the more 'green ' thing to do after all the 'pollution' has already been created making then hasn't it!!
i can see that would have a bigger impact on what we have already-add cheaper, lighter ,more compact motors and batteries and controllers much like the new hybrid porsches and latest f1 cars-and MUCH much more MPG
why not make the most of what we have already not 'reinvent the wheel'
neil

·
Milner for PM!
2,303 Posts
The idea of a car that drives itself terrifies me because there is no end of things that could go wrong, but I'm not sure if it's worse than cars that are 'controlled' by careless gawpers with their eyes glued to a 'phone screen.

·
Registered
2,469 Posts
The idea of a car that drives itself terrifies me because there is no end of things that could go wrong, but I'm not sure if it's worse than cars that are 'controlled' by careless gawpers with their eyes glued to a 'phone screen.
Quite.

The thing to remember is that most folk see driving as a chore*, not as a skill to be learned, improved and enjoyed throughout their lives. If technology can free up another few minutes of their valuable lives to post another "selfie" then they are all for it.

*chore - similar to washing, ironing, cutting the grass or cooking dinner...

·
My cars r my family
273 Posts
And the kids are gonna love jumping out and standing in fron tof these cars to p**s people off....no thanks

·
Gym Junkie
6,213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
There is obviously no need to pass a driving test and if there is an offence committed who gets the court summons, lots of problems but I'm sure the relentless march of technology will overcome them all.

·
Premium Member
4,050 Posts
Get used to it, it's where it's all heading. I'm glad to have enjoyed the glory years. With this as only one of the reasons, pull your finger out if you want to enjoy rodding while we can.
kev, i remember someone mentioning this a while ago, but its all scaremongering.;)

·
Compulsive chicken choker
6,363 Posts
It is just a gimmick at the minute, but at some point in time it will be the ultimate goal, look back over the last few years & cars are getting more and more less driver-dependent (automatic headlights, rain sensing wipers, emergency brake assist, blind spot detection, self parking etc, etc).

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,128 Posts
What I dont get...they say there'll be long trains of these things driving nose-to-tail. You're in the middle of one of these in the middle or outside lane. How the fuck do you make an exit?
You don't because you'll be in one of them ! Can anyone see it being a shared motorway full of cars that have accidents ( human driver ) and those that don't ( well so they reckon, how many times have you had your home computer crash or lost a GPS signal ? ) . Heaven forbid you then allow some old dangerous Historics out there in the mix.

·
richard rawlplug
8,120 Posts
Utter shite. ...

Firefox s version will be much faster.....

1 - 20 of 28 Posts