Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,295 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you all use to grind down welds that can't be got at by an angle grinder ? Dremel perhaps ? Are they any good ? And if so, what type of 'bits' do you use - I've normally found the smaller grinding bits pretty useless?

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
If you have a compressor buy a die grinder, then you can get some tungsten bits. It's like a big boys Dremel.
Charlie.

·
Gym Junkie
6,213 Posts
If you have a compressor buy a die grinder, then you can get some tungsten bits. It's like a big boys Dremel.
Charlie.
I think the bits are called burrs, I picked some up at the kit car show, the ones for sale on Ebay from China are probably made of cheese, sets of 10 are less than £10 :shocked: I paid more than that for just one :sniff:

Here's a catalogue showing the different types etc:

http://www.master-abrasives.co.uk/downloads/content/Master Tungsten Carbide Rotary Burrs.pdf

·
Registered
264 Posts
Or maybe a electric die grinder in preference, less air, compressor not running all the time and they have a bit more torque.
Cost a bit more though and you have 240v leads lying round when using them.

Dremels are turd for reliability, theyre super handy for very very fine work, but I kill one a year minimum. Not sure if its my big paws blocking the airvents, or theyre just crap. Usually the armature has gone with the wired ones, the cordless ones tend to stuff the bearings in the motor and seize, but their spindle isnt supported anywhere near as good as the wired ones when you take them apart to fix. You can buy the parts individually from the after sales website to get them going again.

Finger belt sander another useful tool to have about.

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
if buying those powerfile belts make sure you get butt jointed belts ,as said the others will split straight away, sometimes before you even touch anything with it :!:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts