Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Buy your self a XVS1300a Yamaha Midnight Star...Get one for cheap money

Had a sportster few years back and it was crap! Honestly..
Went down the Harley route.. Under powered and rode like a pig... They are ok for woman. they arent a very big bike..

Had both the bikes from new...The Yam was a FAR better bike and something that i thought i wouldnt do

Debadged it.... Nice set of Harlen Ness mirrors and looked the business///metalic black

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Buy your self a XVS1300a Yamaha Midnight Star...Get one for cheap money

Had a sportster few years back and it was crap! Honestly..
Went down the Harley route.. Under powered and rode like a pig... They are ok for woman. they arent a very big bike..

Had both the bikes from new...The Yam was a FAR better bike and something that i thought i wouldnt do

Debadged it.... Nice set of Harlen Ness mirrors and looked the business///metalic black
Thanks for the thought but definitely NOT what I'm after.

I've had Harleys before and know what they're like and currently own an evo Softail which I've had for 6 years and love it.

I've had Sportsters before too....one of which was a 1200S and you wouldn't think that was under-powered if you rode one...also handled fine as they came with air assisted forks and piggy back gas rear shocks from the factory.

The kind of Sportster I'm after now is an old Ironhead with a kickstart which is definitely not a womans bike!

Japanese bikes are great (I have some classic old ones) but no way would I wish to own/ride one of their Harley clones...no soul and no character.

Wondering why you de-badged yours? :incheek:

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hi Rattus have you got a rough idea of how much your looking to spend? I know someone who has a 76 iron head 1000 hardtail bobber that could be up for sale soon.
I can always get pics if your interested.
cheers Ell

·
Registered
167 Posts
Thanks for the thought but definitely NOT what I'm after.

I've had Harleys before and know what they're like and currently own an evo Softail which I've had for 6 years and love it.

I've had Sportsters before too....one of which was a 1200S and you wouldn't think that was under-powered if you rode one...also handled fine as they came with air assisted forks and piggy back gas rear shocks from the factory.

The kind of Sportster I'm after now is an old Ironhead with a kickstart which is definitely not a womans bike!

Japanese bikes are great (I have some classic old ones) but no way would I wish to own/ride one of their Harley clones...no soul and no character.

Wondering why you de-badged yours? :incheek:
Nice reply!!

I am open to offers on my tax exempt sporty if you are interested

·
Registered
551 Posts
U didnt read the post through..... I HAD a 1200 Sportster along with 12 or so other bikes over the years ..Personally..Just wasnt impressed
They are far too overpriced over here and under powered....
Never thought i would buy a look alike Jap....until i road one..Wow what a difference £14k Fatboy.....£7k for a 1300xvs

Just my opinion...Thats what forums are for.. Sold some tools to a chap last year and he had cut his Sportster about quite drastically.. Looked like an old school bobber
Looked ok for him, he was only 5"4... I am 5`11 and looked like a Dog Dragging his arse...Lol..

Good luck and safe riding......... Riding the West Coast USA next year..On a ...............Vintage Harley...Softail...cant wait..

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
U didnt read the post through..... I HAD a 1200 Sportster along with 12 or so other bikes over the years ..Personally..Just wasnt impressed
They are far too overpriced over here and under powered....
Never thought i would buy a look alike Jap....until i road one..Wow what a difference £14k Fatboy.....£7k for a 1300xvs

Just my opinion...Thats what forums are for.. Sold some tools to a chap last year and he had cut his Sportster about quite drastically.. Looked like an old school bobber
Looked ok for him, he was only 5"4... I am 5`11 and looked like a Dog Dragging his arse...Lol..

Good luck and safe riding......... Riding the West Coast USA next year..On a ...............Vintage Harley...Softail...cant wait..
I did read your post through...not sure you got all of mine! I had a 1200S which is a 1200 Sportster SPORT...only made between 98-03. From the factory it had twin plug (Buell Lightning) heads, hotter cams etc and is a completely different bike to ride compared to a standard 1200.

I'm 6 foot and felt comfortable on it as it had standard mid-mount footpegs and 'conventional' bars and a stepped low dual seat.

HD introduced the Hugger model with it's lower suspension etc to appeal to shorter riders and I know I wouldn't feel comfortable on one of those bikes, plus they had the stock softly tuned engines.

Appreciate your opinion and I agree HD's are silly prices compared to whats available from other manufacturers. As I said, I've had all sorts of bikes and still have and I know I have to pay more to get what I want.

You might be able to help me on something Pete....I'm looking to get a cheap replacement pilot light bulb for my Snap-On tester...part number 2-5130. I know they work out pennies in the US...How much do they cost from Snap-On over here?

Sure you'll have a great time in the States when you go and ride safe too.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Still looking for one and as mentioned I don't mind if incomplete etc...I intend to chop it so not looking for a mint example. Again, as mentioned elsewhere, I will trade my XT if that suits and I also have an IT enduro that could be part of a deal.

I don't get on here as often as I'd like so if you have something that I might be interested in, please pm me...that way I get an email saying I've had a reply so can get back in touch promptly, cheers.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.