Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Sheep Shagger
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In Britain ????????????

Most rods are built in a traditional manner, using mainly very similar parts and to a similar formula, which is V8, big n littles, etc. I know the reasons for this, and it's probably how I'd build my own, but was just wondering if anyone had built a rod to actually handle and go like a race car.

I'm sure I remember a Pop bulit in the 90's that had a well 1700 built x-flow and big alloys, and cage, etc, but can't find anything on it.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Can't remember exactly how long ago but Bernie Chodosh and Simon Lane built a '34 for circuit racing. Some one must have a pic......Timetravel??.
Cars still around but in a different guise.

·
Registered
76 Posts
If Berpop is a consideration I don't know if you'd count something like the Beadmore's lowlight Minor hillclimb/sprint car?

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
my bro's 100e used to be curcuit racer based , 327 chevy , 5 speed cossie box ,8" rear axle ,13" split rim compromotives , used to handle great , heard a story once of a lambo that came up behind him ,right up his back side, over took and shot off only to see a little fat 100e up his back side that the lambo could not shake off ,,,,,,,,,allegedy :cool:

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,056 Posts
Nick Manns twin turbo Rover powered minor that was acircuit / slalom / hill climb car primarily.

·
Registered
872 Posts
Not from Britain, but saw this one in Sweden (you might recognise it from this month's CC, but here's some more detailed shots).

·
Registered
777 Posts
there was a 33/34 that had a full tube chassis, 1700 crossflow (i think) and was independent on all 4 corners..full circuit car..it was white and around the Daventry, Northants area..

·
Registered
610 Posts
Wasn't Phil Rutherford's blue 34 roadster built in a track style many moons ago with lots of attention paid to the suspension set up/brakes etc? Anyone remember much about it?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Wasn't Phil Rutherford's blue 34 roadster built in a track style many moons ago with lots of attention paid to the suspension set up/brakes etc? Anyone remember much about it?

:happy:

·
Sheep Shagger
858 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'd forgot about Nick Manns Minor. Excellent car that was.
Nick Rutherfords is definitely circuit "style" inspired.

Now, considering those rims are rally/race based, I think they look fantastic on that Swedish Rod. Now imagine that with one of those V8's based on 2 Hayabusa engines with a turbo on it, slicks and screaming round a track kicking ass.

That mid engined MR2 engined rod would have been a fantastic base too. Anyone got a pic of that. I remember it being red, but can't remember a lot else about it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts