Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
1,423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought for the day.

Have you not noticed this trend of formal speak is on the increase,in fact do you not know how to answer questions phrased this way ?

eg; "Can you not understand"

If you can't understand ,is the answer-

"No ,i do not understand"

or "Yes,i do not understand"

Possibly the first answer is correct,but then again ,think about it ,and the second one becomes viable too,plus it stops the formal speaker is their tracks.

And then you find it on the end of a sentence sometimes ,do you not.

This kind of formal speak seems on the increase,maybe it is a regional thing, and seems addictive ,does it not.

Maybe you find you are afflicted by it,or did you not realise.

Have you not noticed it a lot on TV lately ?

Can you not post your experience of this. ???????????? (can't work that one out)

Are we not all being taken over by aliens perhaps,or barristers. ;)

·
Stroker
5,565 Posts
I have not, round here neneways, but...

I do wish so that the initial replies given to patrons requesting!?...
"can I get a"
Of "no, but I can get you your Bacardi Breezer sir!"

Its almost like they even have to be assertive in purchasing a product.
Can/may I HAVE is far too humblng. :wanker:

·
Registered
3,251 Posts
Can you not understand that languages evolve over time and will you not grasp these changes and welcome them :D:D

btw I have no idea of the meaning of what I just wrote

·
Fat 'n' Loud
4,766 Posts
"Can I get" is one of those annoying phrases that have been imported from America. In a similar vein - "I'm good", as in: "Would Sir like anything else?" "No, I'm good", which seems like an answer to a completely different question, does it not?
And the mother of them all: "Enjoy"!

And, on the subject of the double negative, to which the original post alludes (does it not), a colleague of mine uses the word "unfill" instead of "empty". In context: "My word, would you just look at the top bollocks on that, I'd like to unfill my swollen saddle bags all over them".

·
Premium Member
6,015 Posts
Its even better when you look at the emails your boss has sent in reply to inquiries from the web site. Grammar and spelling seem to mean nothing. Worst thing is, if you are not careful you can drift to the same bastardisation of our language.

Still I keep my standards, InIt. Dont I.

·
Registered
12,536 Posts
All that is missing in the written form is '?' (the humble question mark).
If used in speech there isn't a spoken equivalent of a question mark other than than, typically the pitch of the voice being raised with an intonation at the end of the sentence.

·
Premium Member
6,015 Posts
All that is missing in the written form is '?' (the humble question mark).
If used in speech there isn't a spoken equivalent of a question mark other than than, typically the pitch of the voice being raised with an intonation at the end of the sentence.
That would sit well with InIT, I am assuming?:beuj:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts