Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
I'm a Lowrider !
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I cant stand another year wihtout a decent headlining in my car :sniff:

I like to do all my own work so want to tackle this job myself but really need some advice / help as i've failed once :wanker:

The original headlining consists of a shaped thin (3mm) polystyrene looking panel that has rotted, on top of this is foam backed material, the material i can do no problem but where do i get this foam/poly sheet stuff from and how do i shape it prior to installing ??

Last year I tried laying fibreglass over the old headlining bridging all the gaps and splits but following the curves and all looked good, until i went to it the next day to find it had formed a whole new shape over night where i hadn't supported it quite correctly so i left it while i hunted for a solution - for a year ! when the cold weather came recently i was able to peel the fibreglass from the original and bin it so i'm back to square one with a knackered looking original poly shaped headlining panel that is split cracked broken but i'm keen to get it fixed.

Annoyingly its possible to buy a fibreglass replacement from the USA but because of its size shipping is horrendous so thats not an option for me right now. :tdown:

Any ideas on where to start ?

·
I'm a Lowrider !
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks i've sent a message, anyone else have any ideas ?

Please post !

·
Rod'a'holic
1,037 Posts
I would have thought it was worth having a go with fibreglass again. Have a look on the fibreglass forum I found a few weeks ago, some very good projects and information there. You will have to register to see but it is free.

http://www.fiberglassforums.com/

·
Mid England Retrims.
350 Posts
what about making your own headlining bows out of spring steel and doing a nice cloth headliner, i made a new headliner for sidspop thames 400e truck by making new bows from spring steel and a perimeter wire from the same steel. ade

·
I'm a Lowrider !
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Stumpy for the suggestion, not really the look i'm going for but i'll definatley consider it, and thanks Rod-builder for the link.

I think first i'll take a trip to a breakers armed with some measurements and see if i cant cut'n'shut something with the right compund curves in the rear corners from something like a people carrier or whatever, then just cover it.

If anyone else has ideas, i'm still keen to hear them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts