Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi folks!

I need a heater in my hot rod, but the after market universal heaters are rather expensive and I don't know which donor cars to look for on the wrecking yard.
The best would be a small heater (no AC) from a relativley new car.

·
Semi Proffessional Prat
3,489 Posts
Bedford Rascal type van

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
look at some of the small jap cars, the heaters are small and have lots of outlets (can be blanked off if not needed) and are light and super efficient. you might need to spend some time cutting off all the strange plastic brackets but they will out perform most others (they make the aftermarket heaters look laim)

·
Registered
325 Posts
I've just fitted a RASCAL van heater to our 27T.
Once you cut off all the plastic air guides, you are left with a really small, neat unit - matrix, fan and two pipes.

Cost me £30 - but most scrap yards will charge £10 if you pull it out yourself (it's not a five minute job - but they has one sitting on the shelf and it was freezing cold and getting dark!)

Couple of pieces of ali plate (metal recyling yard) and some screws - fitted up under the dash - you can't even see it.

Happy Xmas
Ian & Anne

·
Premium Member
731 Posts
I have a MINI heater in my 35 Vauxhall. Plumbing is just two water pipes usually from the water pump and often back into the block under the inlet manifold ( on Fords anyway!)
Good thing about the Mini Heater is that it does not require an air intake from outside the car,and they are cheap!!!
Cheers DAVE

·
Muppet
176 Posts
how would you go about plumbing in a mini heater?
Mini heaters are the same as Morris Minors and need only two pipes to connect it up as they are self contained units. One length of pipe from the outlet on the engine, though the bulkhead and then straight onto the fitting on the heater and then the reverse from the other heater fitting and then back to the engine. Simples!!!!

·
Registered
533 Posts
MG Midgets have a simlar set up and are mounted in the engine bay in a self contained metal unit with just the vent tubes coming out, could be a useful idea if you're short of room under the dash and shouldn't look too rubbish. They do have a tap on the cylinder head to turn them on and off. They have an fresh air tube that pulls in air from the grill which is much better than recirculating the same air as it soon gets stuffy. You can also get a kit from the MGOC to uprate it if you find it's not powerful enough - although you can drive a Midget with the roof down on a frosty day and not get cold anyway. Plenty of MG breakers throughout the country. Could be another option?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Mini heaters need a valve, you can use a cable operated one mounted in the pipework. Watch out for the crimped plastic and ally rads in them, they fail, and can't really be repaired. You can gat a replacement conventional style rad on e bay, all makes the "cheap" scrap yard buy expensive though.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.