Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Semi Proffessional Prat
3,489 Posts
Heaters heat, de-humidifiers suck moisture. Unless your garage is reasonably well sealed, with few draughts, then you would be wasting time with either.

Be better to get good insulation, such as Jablite up on the roof, in door panels etc, and then see how you are for moisture.

I would be tempted to put a small 100watt greenhouse heater and a de-humidifier in,

·
Desparado
7,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm in the process of boarding the floor, insulating & boarding the walls & was gonna jabalite the metal doors.
As part of its gonna be used as a utility room / workshop / hideaway when I've upset the other half ect, so I was going to just put the heaters in.
Then thought about warm & cold makes moisture. Or am I thinking too much ?

·
Semi Proffessional Prat
3,489 Posts
Problem with a de-humidifier is they suck moisture out of the air, and if you have drauhts, you are letting air in from outside, so defeating the object.

Is the building attatched to the house, and if not how far away is it?

i have recently added a radiator in the garage, I was extending the heating anyway, and i picked up an old rad at work for nowt. My garage is 21 x 15, with about 3 feet square of usable space, and the rad really does its' bit to help. It takes the chill off, a few weeks ago it was -2 outside, and 12 inside. But that is with as many draughts plugged as I can find, and the ceiling fully boarded over with Jablite. Even cutting panels for the doors makes a difference.

The way I see it, if the Doris is warm watching Eastenders on ice up the jungle, I may as well be warm doing my hobby, and the heating is working no harder to do the garage.

How big is your hovel, and what construction. When you say utility, is there a tumble drier in there by any chance?

·
Desparado
7,337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Its prefab 28 x 14, unattached to the house.
I put a stud wall (insulated) between the car & the room.
There may be a tumble dryer, but will be a vented 1 & a tall freezer (& beer fridge :tup:). If no tumble dryer, then maybe washing stand, hence the tube heaters.
I've tried to seal as many draughts as poss, with mastic & seals ect. Planned to put a 3 of tube heaters in as I already have them.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.