Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Fat 'n' Loud
4,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took a trip up to Hednesford yesterday for the annual Pre-68 Classic banger racing.
The event was made up of 3 classes: Over 1725 and under 1725cc and Heritage stock cars. The stock cars appeared to be built to a formula around Pop chassis and 100E engines.
As expected, the bangers consisted mostly of the usual Farina Oxford/Cambridge/Westies, Jags, P5 Rovers and Hillman Minxes with a few oddities and rarities in between. Prizes were awarded for best prepared and rarest vehicle, most notable of which was a 1930s Austin FX3 hearse. Sad to think that it managed to survive for 80 odd years and then about 2 minutes on a banger track before a nudge up the rear by a Morris Oxford saw it fold up like a tent! You can just about see a photo of it in one of my photos (which I'll post later as I've got to dash).
My mate and I were fully expecting to be thoroughly appalled by the sight of mint or restorable classic cars being wantonly destroyed, and I've seen all the arguments about racers only using knackers that are too far gone, etc. and thought "yeah, yeah". We had a good look around the pits and in all honesty, whilst there were a few that looked quite tidy, most of the cars were horrendous shitpiles. You could tell the difference when racing as the decent cars lasted a couple of races while the bad ones just collapsed like match boxes as soon as they took a hit. Makes you think about some of the so-called restored heaps that are driving about on the roads.

Sadly the day was cut short due to a fatal accident on track, and my sympathies to that driver's family and friends.

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
"Hednesford Pre-68. Its what classic cars were made for! "

Each to his own I guess. But I would imagine no-one has responed to this because they can't believe anyone on this forum feels that way!

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
I was there and was enjoying the day up to the point that the poor chap was fatally injured.

I also sit on the fence about bangering, however after looking around the pits I saw no cars that would have been fit to return to the road. If they had have been restored it would have been a "triggers broom" car with the only original metal baing the VIN plate. I spoke to a few of the racers and got some contacts for bits for my car and all to a man were decent guys. Just my experience formed from that day.

Such a tragic end to what was a great day. Thoughts are with the people affected.

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
I was there and was enjoying the day up to the point that the poor chap was fatally injured.

I also sit on the fence about bangering, however after looking around the pits I saw no cars that would have been fit to return to the road. If they had have been restored it would have been a "triggers broom" car with the only original metal baing the VIN plate. I spoke to a few of the racers and got some contacts for bits for my car and all to a man were decent guys. Just my experience formed from that day.
Thoughts are with the people affected.
And a measured and valid opinion.
I guess if the cars have genuinely been stripped of everything worth using then ok; but I have seen really restorable or roddable cars bangered!
Such a tragic end to what was a great day.
Certainly thoughts are with the family and friends. Fortunately this is a rare occurance.

·
Fat 'n' Loud
4,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Each to his own I guess. But I would imagine no-one has responed to this because they can't believe anyone on this forum feels that way!
Do you think I'm serious or maybe being slightly sarcastic?

Did you have your sense of humour by-pass on the NHS?

I think I'll keep the photos to myself.

·
Registered
595 Posts

I think we have to except we cant save every bit of old tin, so if the banger boys get there first then good on them. I will say this tho, the lads i know who race do look at the motor to see if its worth saving first, they do like cars you know...

·
Fat 'n' Loud
4,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I think we have to except we cant save every bit of old tin, so if the banger boys get there first then good on them. I will say this tho, the lads i know who race do look at the motor to see if its worth saving first, they do like cars you know...
...which was exactly my point.

I seriously think some people go out of their way to look for things to take offence to.
Don't read the thread though, eh, or you might disappoint yourself.

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
...which was exactly my point.

I seriously think some people go out of their way to look for things to take offence to.
Don't read the thread though, eh, or you might disappoint yourself.
Mate, your comments toawrds me are totally uncalled for.....I have a brilliant sense of humour and a warped one at that.

i think you've made that comment above, not because you were joking (nothing in your original post gave ANY indication of satire or humour) but rather that you meant what you said and are now covering it up.

What part of my response indicated that I 'took offence'?

·
Premium Member
6,729 Posts
By the way. I'm keeping my pictures, it's my ball and i'm going home................so there.... LOL :incheek: :incheek:

Notice the use of :incheek: to show that I am joking or being satirical.

·
Fat 'n' Loud
4,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My mate and I were fully expecting to be thoroughly appalled by the sight of mint or restorable classic cars being wantonly destroyed, and I've seen all the arguments about racers only using knackers that are too far gone, etc. and thought "yeah, yeah".
i think you've made that comment above, not because you were joking (nothing in your original post gave ANY indication of satire or humour) but rather that you meant what you said and are now covering it up.
Nothing?
I don't need to cover anything up. If I had meant that I'd stand by it.

·
Registered
411 Posts
I dont know about bangering really old cars....... seems a shame after they have been around so long. Surely if they were that bad, they wouldnt be fit to even manage a run round a banger circuit. The other worrying and more realistic concern is that it has often been rumoured that quite a few "classics" have been stolen and ended up in this way. It is a fairly plausible suggestion, as no one would ever recognise them.
All that said, its always a chuckle to watch!!:lol:
very sad to hear about the poor chap losing his life, very sad.
mick

·
Premium Member
5,809 Posts
Yes its a good job you've put those in, otherwise your side splitting hilarity might have gone un-noticed.

Its a pity there isn't a self righteous condescension smiley for you to use. :finger:
Hell. Talk about getting all uppity and hormonal. :D

Note big smiley please.

I wasn't at Hednesford so won't comment directly, although someone mentioned that an Austin FX3 hearse folded like a pack of cards (FX3's weren't 30's by the way), hardly surprising since most hearse bodies tended to be ally, even if they were steel, they were fabricated to take at best a twenty stone coffin one way.

Each to his own but I have seen stupidly rare cars described as 'rotten', an early 50's ally bodied AC for one, sacrificed for less than one lap.

·
Fat 'n' Loud
4,766 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Mick, if you'd have seen the state of some of the bangers, they were truly shagged. I certainly wouldn't have felt safe driving one, let alone at high speed colliding with other vehicles.
Some of them were in fairly good nick though which does make you cringe.
As for stolen cars being bangered, that's a whole other argument, but a mate of mine lost an Austin Cambridge one night and that turned up in a banger magazine on its roof! He knew it was his because of the custom body mods he'd done.

·
Premium Member
1,798 Posts
Lee & Insanity, can you please put down the handbags and go and sit on the naughty step.

Calm now? Good.

Now Lee please post some photos, my camera was fubar and I would like to see some pics from earlier in the day, rather than the f*cking awful image that is still in my head. Thanks.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts