Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I've joined this site on the recommendation of my son who's building a GT6 chassised Reliant Fox van! Yes it does fit. He's always wanted a van and I also have an original Reliant Fox. He has an original GT6 MkIII and needed something to do with a spare chassis and highly tuned engine and scored a full van and a half for peanuts.
I come from a special building family an used to run Burlington Motor Spares when they were building kit cars. I had the first ever Arrow chassis.
We both live in Fenland and my son met someone today in March who told him of this site and of meetings at the March BRAZA club.
Does anyone here attend them? We're thinking of going this Friday.
Cheers,
KTT

·
Registered
343 Posts
Hi KTT I am also in the fens (parson drove, elses, ect) A lot of the kings Lynn Kruisers go to
the braza club (although i dont) Most are on here . I am a member of the Kruisers , crestaracer is our club president.
Always pleased to help your ladd if we can . Cheers Ian

·
Premium Member
11,239 Posts
Hi KTT,

:tup: Welcome to Rods'n'Sods.

There are a few people that go to the BRAZA club, not sure if they go just for the music. Phil "fillis" goes/used to go there and i am sure there were a couple of other people from Wisbech area used to go aswell.

Dave Newman "cresta racer" of Kings Lynn Kruisers has a regular meet every thursday that is not that far from you, the Woolpack, Main Rd, Terrington St John, Wisbech, PE14 7RR. Might be worth you giving it a try.

Cheers.

Russ.

·
Premium Member
1,785 Posts
Hi Kitt. I am from Wisbekistan as well. We are a little club that meet on a thursday evening at 5 bells tydd st Mary. Sometimes theres as many as 4 of us turn up. If you need any help with any projects there's several locals, none of us can help though as we're all useless. We by the way are the WANKERS Wisbech and Newton Kar Enthusiasts and Racers Society.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the welcomes, chaps. I'll ring the BRAZA club and see what's happening this Friday.
The guy my son met had a couple of step sides and a Model A apparently. Nice.
I'd love to build a rod myself but for the gummint stickin' their nose in. I used to build show cars for the Germans, so I don't need some snooper telling me if I've done it right and I ain't paying them £540 for the dubious privilege!
I have an old Cambridge ally body for an Austin Seven chassis which I was going to put on a Reliant Kitten chassis, but that would also involve the nosey Parkers, so that won't happen now.
I run the Fox because I can get classic insurance for £104. Having lived on a boat for a few years and had no car the insurers wanted £860 for a diesel Rover my brother gave us.
Having had full no claims for ever, I thought that a damned cheek!
But I can help the lad with his project.

I've spent most of my life as a professional modelmaker and technical illustrator, so if anyone needs help with a spot of model making, let me know.

Cheers,
KTT

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi gents,
I feel awful about leaving this so long. I have been flat out on customer work for ages. Still busy, but starting to line stuff up for next year now.
My son has decided he needs something bigger than the Fox Special as he has damaged his back, so he's looking for something taller and easier to get in and out of and will be selling his GT6 later when the sun shines.
I have started work on the A7 Special Cambridge bodywork. English wheeled some dents and bumps out (what an amazing bit of kit that is!) and made some new ash frame for the back end. I also got some great period alloys for it, an unused Bowdenex twin spring front end and a Coventry Climax FWM 750 engine for it. So things are moving on.
I have also picked up a Burlinton Beretta project. Gawd knows where that's going to go!

We went to the excellent Brass Monkeys Run yesterday and spoke to several people. What a nice bunch of folks. Rodders wipe the floor with classic car types generally. We had never seen so many stepside pick-ups! That's what my lad really wants, but what prices!!
Does anyone know how much it costs to import a car from the States, where there are still some bargains to be found, (transport, duties, registration hoo-ha)?

Cheers,
Martin

·
Registered
622 Posts
Hi gents,
I feel awful about leaving this so long. I have been flat out on customer work for ages. Still busy, but starting to line stuff up for next year now.
My son has decided he needs something bigger than the Fox Special as he has damaged his back, so he's looking for something taller and easier to get in and out of and will be selling his GT6 later when the sun shines.
I have started work on the A7 Special Cambridge bodywork. English wheeled some dents and bumps out (what an amazing bit of kit that is!) and made some new ash frame for the back end. I also got some great period alloys for it, an unused Bowdenex twin spring front end and a Coventry Climax FWM 750 engine for it. So things are moving on.
I have also picked up a Burlinton Beretta project. Gawd knows where that's going to go!

We went to the excellent Brass Monkeys Run yesterday and spoke to several people. What a nice bunch of folks. Rodders wipe the floor with classic car types generally. We had never seen so many stepside pick-ups! That's what my lad really wants, but what prices!!
Does anyone know how much it costs to import a car from the States, where there are still some bargains to be found, (transport, duties, registration hoo-ha)?

Cheers,
Martin
I'd go with Kingstown Shipping. You'll be looking at somewhere between £1-2000 for collection/shipping. Then you got import duty and VAT.
Whatever you buy in the states, just make sure it has a title. Ray (oldnosname) on here,has some decent trucks he sells on here, so could be worth a chat.
All the best in finding something
Ralph

·
Down but not out
3,024 Posts
Hello from dreary Peterborough!!! And a big welcome to you and your son. Your sons fox sounds ace. With regards to the pick up also check out V8.Jimmy on here he usually has a good selection in stock and like ray is a nice guy to boot! Look forward to seeing some pics of yours and your sons rides.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Hi badger,
my son has had to sell the Fox project as the thing would have been about as low as the Spitfire that the chassis came from. Bazz has damaged his back and can't even get in his GT6 currently, hence looking for a higher, bigger vehicle for his hobby ride. First choice pick-up, second van, but nothing showing around yet for GT6 money surprisingly.
Meanwhile he's helping me with the Austin 7 Special project, which is here:-

Plus I've just collected most of a Burlington Beretta, which has no wings, so will be built as an Arrow, but with the Beretta scuttle. It'll look like a big brother to the Cambridge Special with the double bubble scuttle shapes.

Instead of the Sunbeam 928 engine you see there, I now have a genuine Coventry Climax 750 engine and another on the way for bits. We find that a Mk 1 Imp clutch will fit the tiny flywheel and a Spitfire gearbox will fit the spline pattern of the Imp clutch, so it's all coming together.

Cheers,
Martin

1 - 13 of 13 Posts