Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Could you tell me if you lower your truck how much gap do you need above the tyre.Then if you are swapping all the running gear.You tkae off the one piece proshaft and you put on the donor propshaft that is a two half one with the bearing in the middle.Do you keep it as two halfs or do you have one made thats one piece.They are about the same in length the one piece one and the two bit one.Now the rear axle if thats going to be swapped as well do you have to do the same to it as the front get the castor correct.Thanks agin and i hope you understand what iam talking about.

·
Registered
2,134 Posts
Mmmmm......
Please don't take offence but some of your recent posts lead me to think that you don't have the skills/knowledge required to undertake this kind of work. We all have to start somewhere and every day is a school day, but suspension stuff needs to be right(especially on something as big as that truck of yours)
Anyway, answers......tyre space is dependant on so many other things, like overall track width, available space in the arch, amount of travel in suspension etc
Castor only applies to a front suspension.
Personally, I would find a suitable more modern donor vehicle with a chassis with similair dimensions as your current one but with better running gear, and then fit your body to it. More "nuts and bolts" type job than fabrication and welding.
If you are doing away with a torque tube and fitting an axle that requires a normal prop, use the one that came with it if poss. A two piece one is fine if the centre bearing is properly supported, in fact they can also help with alignment issues if motor/box to rear axlle heights are vastly different.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi thanks for the advice help no offence taken.Its not for my ford fire truck thats staying as it is.Its another project i am wanting to do.I am not going to do the work i am just trying to get the bits together i need.I will get someone to do the work.Thanks greatfull for the help.

·
Dragging not Bragging
5,718 Posts
Could you tell me if you lower your truck how much gap do you need above the tyre.Then if you are swapping all the running gear.You tkae off the one piece proshaft and you put on the donor propshaft that is a two half one with the bearing in the middle.Do you keep it as two halfs or do you have one made thats one piece.They are about the same in length the one piece one and the two bit one.Now the rear axle if thats going to be swapped as well do you have to do the same to it as the front get the castor correct.Thanks agin and i hope you understand what iam talking about.
Tire clearance all depends on suspension travel and steering as for the prop if youve got to have one made you may as well go for a single one piece item that way you dont need to worry about making the body mounts for the centre bearing as for the rear axle as long as its central, square and you get the pinion angle correct it should be easy ............... but with so many variables between different makes we can only give you the basic advice

If for example you use a gm triangulated rear in stead of leafs or 4 bar there are lots of differing factors and as you have mentioned tyre clearance im guessing maybe a lowering job ?????

Some advice could be right for 1 and not another :tup:

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Its a leaf spring rear axle.The reason i ask the question is i dont really want to buy stuff that i will not really need.I do know there will be some stuff.The idea is i get as much parts as possible.The i remove all the old stuff claen the chassis up to save time then get someone if possible close to were iam to come and do the welding fitting.But its finding someone that willing to do it at my place i think thats were iam going to struggle even if i do have a big warm garage.I even have a large cabin if they need to stay save on traveling.

·
Premium Member
7,531 Posts
we all work different and have different ideas,thats why you should find a builder/someone to do the work first.
you may well buy lots of parts but until you start the work they may not fit,or the person may not want to use them.

theres also so many variables.
how low do you want to go.would the axle need narrowing,would you need different rims,would the chassis need notching ect ect.

just out of curiosity are there builders that would come to youre place to do the work.
only ask as even small mods can sometimes need a vast array of tools

1 - 10 of 10 Posts