Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got permission from the wife to enlarge my pond.
At the moment it looks like this

It's 3m deep at the deepest point .
I have black bass,carp,tench and roach in it.
I am going to make it twice it's size at least. I know nothing about pond design. Should I be putting shelves or ledges in it or what?
Any advice is greatly appreciated
Best
Neil

·
Worn Out Fanny Magnet.
673 Posts
From what I remember from the earlier thread I started in respect of keeping Koi Carp, your "Lake" is complateley NatUral, with no Pumps and/or Filters etc, so I would just dig it out to the size & depth that you want, and leave it at that. You have a complete Natural Eco System going on there. Rushes are also very good to plant around the Water`s Edge.

·
Registered
3,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Ha Ha Russ I'd conveniently erased that from my memory.
Yes it is completely natural and filled from an underground source. It's got bulrushes, lillies etc.
Anyone got a shovel I can borrow?
Best
Neil

·
Semi Proffessional Prat
3,489 Posts
With reference to your previous thread, wouldn't this be more suitable?

·
Registered
3,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's going to be a long weekend methinks.
I've certainly walked into this one
Best
Neil

·
Worn Out Fanny Magnet.
673 Posts
:pmsl: That med me loff that did !!.

·
Premium Member
1,196 Posts
jcb needed
board a side of the now edge now start digging outter part hole where u want the lake to finish then start moving in to where the lake is now then take the board middle wall out and the water should rush in ..... does tht make sense

·
Worn Out Fanny Magnet.
673 Posts
jcb needed
board a side of the now edge now start digging outter part hole where u want the lake to finish then start moving in to where the lake is now then take the board middle wall out and the water should rush in ..... does tht make sense
Yeah, as long as you remember to remove the JCB from the bit you have just dug, before removing the Separating "Board" !!. :pmsl:

·
Premium Member
6,696 Posts
Theres one little detail I couldn't quite comprehend, ledges? yes,shelves,yes,twice the size,no problem,3m deep,good thinking ,bull rushes and lillies absolutely marvelous!!

Permission from the wife to enlarge your pond?????? sorry mate, you lost me at that point:lol:

Gary.

·
Registered
3,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
It's where i've started keeping my cars so need it bigger
JCB isn't big enough and i am using a 19 ton digger on tracks.I could do with a bulldozer but you don't come across them in France
Best
Neil

·
richard rawlplug
8,140 Posts
dynamite........couple of sticks thrown where you want the hole......and BANG......there you go..

·
Worn Out Fanny Magnet.
673 Posts
It's where i've started keeping my cars so need it bigger
JCB isn't big enough and i am using a 19 ton digger on tracks.I could do with a bulldozer but you don't come across them in France
Best
Neil
Bloody hell Neil !!!!. Mind you, best to do it right this time, so it hasn`t got to be done again if you know what I mean !!. Ever thought of Stocking it with Common & Mirror Carp etc, and opening it up to the public as a Business Venture ?.

·
Registered
3,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hi Mike
good idea but it's reserved for me and my mates.
It's brilliant,in summer we have a tent down there and I go down there with the kids and i get pissed and they fish. It's got a couple of mirrors in there but i fish for black bass.
I'd love to stick a summerhouse down there but maybe another year.
I would like to have an open house for a week next august for rods n sods people so bring your rod. Mind you i've only got one toilet. Cassagnal: beautiful stone pigeonnier in SW France bring your tents and pitch up
Best
Neil

·
Worn Out Fanny Magnet.
673 Posts
I bet its fantastic Neil, and I`m very envious. Its exactly what both my other half and myself would like given the opportunity. I "was" on course to actually achieve my dream, or at least something similar for a while. Got my Early Retirement Sorted, and made what I "thought" were various shrewd Investments in the Property Market, but as per my usual luck, one UK and Foreign Property Market Collapse, plus what turned out to be a Crooked Property Investor/Financial Adviser later, and I lost the lot !!. Its taken a hell of an effort to get back to some kind of Stability, so if that offer of a Holiday at your place next year still stands at the time, I may well take you up on your most generous invitation. Only problem is finding someone to have our "Son", (my lovely Rottie Major), for a few days !!. :tup:

·
Registered
3,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
you can bring him as long he doesn't kill anyone. We're all in this together, i've invested and lost money and mates have got me back on my feet. That's what it's all about, i have too much land and i'm sure you have a passport. Probably 30-50 people in August but let's see I'll post up the invitation in the new year
Best
Neil

1 - 20 of 21 Posts