Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
went to local dvla to register a 1937 plymouth pick up brought in from the states, but today have recieved a letter from them saying it need to go to them for inspection:wanker:
any one else had to do this and how worried should i be
as has sbc ,front clip and 10 bolt rear

·
Registered
459 Posts
Don't be paranoid. It's a percentage thing, and quite random.

You'll probably be inspected by some 18 yr old clerk who has no clue about what he or she is looking at.
Thats been the case twice for me.
If its MOT'd and insured, then you can drive it to the inspection site otherwise its a trailer.

Good luck

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thanks every one, will let u know how it goes on thursday.truck is mot'd and insured yet letter says it still cant be driven there must be trailered or trade plates

·
Registered
5,531 Posts
If you use trade plates the person that there registered to needs to be there,had a close call when I took my truck,they sneekly phoned the owner of the 1s I borrowed to see if I worked for them,did not say who they were just asked if I worked there luckly he said yes part time which what I said when they asked me while looking around the truck later.

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,268 Posts
If you read the link you'll see there is stuff you can do to protect yourself from issues. I wish more people would own up rather than compound the ' it's not happening' attitude of most. There's 4 that I know of on here who've had problems with regisering imports that ACE has been able to help out .

You can drive to BIVA , you can drive to MOT both with no registration but the law states you mustn't drive to a DVLA inspection. However that doesn't stop some DVLA local offices stating teh contrary.

·
Exceeded sell by date
7,746 Posts
I've never had problems with registering standardish cars but it was a while ago. One thing that is crucial is to have numbers which are clearly readable before you go, both vin and engine. They are essential.

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
when i had an inspection, bloke came out with a clip board checked the vin and engine no against the info he had,
and that was that, 5mins at the most,

·
Registered
967 Posts
its all a bit of a cunny,,,,but if you are booked for an mot or a inspection,,,,and insureed then you can go from a to b basically be legall,,,,if you think on the day you can buy a motor ,,and say ,,ive got my beut then think again them cameras will get ya

·
1972 Formula 350 owner
673 Posts
thanks every one, will let u know how it goes on thursday.truck is mot'd and insured yet letter says it still cant be driven there must be trailered or trade plates
Hey 34 ford, how did it go? I keep looking back at this thread but never saw your outcome!

Marc

·
Premium Member
1,910 Posts
on behalf of 34ford. the dvla done inspection and it all went well with no problems. no registerd and on the road.

·
Premium Member
4,385 Posts
I took one for an inspection, the inspector was dressed like a spaceman, helmet, ear defenders, high vis, boots, the lot. He could not have been more helpful and pleasant, he checked the numbers, apologised for the inconvenience and explained that it was a random thing.

Rog.

·
ready salted
1,817 Posts
I took one for an inspection, the inspector was dressed like a spaceman, helmet, ear defenders, high vis, boots, the lot. He could not have been more helpful and pleasant, he checked the numbers, apologised for the inconvenience and explained that it was a random thing.

Rog.
Wot, dressing up as a spaceman?? :pmsl:

I'll get my coat

cheers...Nige

1 - 15 of 15 Posts