Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I have a 5.0 HO roller cam engine that I'm building, but the original heads that came with the engine are no good.

I have since bought a pair of non-roller cam heads from a 1975 (i believe) Mustang. Can I convert these to use my roller cam rockers, push rods etc??

I have already started to strip both sets of heads with the hope of making one good useable pair, but the first thing I've noticed is the rockers on my 5.0 heads are bolted in, whereas the rockers on the 1975 heads have studs. How do these studs come out?

Cheers guys

·
Premium Member
14,689 Posts
if they're stock the studs are pressed in. easiest way is get rockers for the 75 heads. very cheap from real steel etc.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers - the problem is two of the studs are knackered - one is bent and one has been snapped off :-(

Plus as the bottom end is a roller cam block, would the original rockers work OK? I've seen ARP rocker studs, but aren't sure if they will work with my rockers?

·
Premium Member
14,689 Posts
sounds like you need to have the studs replaced then. screw in studs are better anyway and any performance build will have these. your rockers from the original heads are the stock 'sled' type then? if so they're not good for a hopped up motor so the upgrade is worthwhile. screw in studs with full roller/roller tip rockers.

·
Banned
4,329 Posts
Converting your heads is not cheap,to make them usable you will need to have the seats redone for unleaded and the valves probably faced and reseated ( about £180 ) rocker studs removed and tapped for threads ( £150 ish depending on how easy the studs come out,some are a real bitch ) so your half way in price to a pair of decent after market heads that are like night and day in performance compared to iron heads! :tup:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts