Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any one on here does garage doors ,the lock in mine just spins round cannot unlock it so being a clever git
I drilled it out and the T bar handle still wont turn ,any ideas
Mike

·
Registered
2,802 Posts
Any one on here does garage doors ,the lock in mine just spins round cannot unlock it so being a clever git
I drilled it out and the T bar handle still wont turn ,any ideas
Mike
No other means of access? A window that you could break? I once took one of the plastic sheets off a garage roof to get myself in when locked out, it was only screwed and siliconed down, so no damage and cheaper than wrecking the door....

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cheers lads ,a new locks the easy bit getting in s the problem ,no other door and the window has a steel mesh over it in side and the green house outside

·
Gym Junkie
6,213 Posts
When I drilled the last barrel out I found that the handle would still not turn until I managed to rotate the lock mechanism inside the handle, I hope that makes sense.

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
First question, have you got all the tumblers out of the barrel, or for that matter have you got the barrel out?? First thing I would try is a good dose of WD40, then see if you can jiggle the handle round Is it possible that somebody has tried to get in by forcing the barrel, leaving the tumblers stuck in the handle???? preventing it turning, I think you have to get the barrel out, do not drill right thru the handle as the square will come off the back, in that case it will be a real bugger to open. Alternatively, If you can find out the pitch of the 2 retaining studs, you may be able to drill the studs out so you can rotate the whole lock assembly.

·
Premium Member
990 Posts
put turning pressure on the handle the way it normally turns and give it a few blows with a hammer , should bounce the tumblers out the way . failing that you need a long piece of flexible plastic , slide in the top of the door if its an old type door mech .

·
Semi Proffessional Prat
3,489 Posts
If the lock is already knackered then attack it with angle grinder. Get the handle part off first, then slice the bit that attaches to door halfway down. You should find the ends of the fixing screws, that can be then drilled out. 'Remove the handle assembly and you may need a large flat screwdriver to act as the bar.

·
Registered
229 Posts
When mine jammed shut I had to cut away an inch of the wooden surround to get a chisel / sharp edge in that allowed me to spring the lock. That was on a top locking one. It worked a treat with a bit of pushing and shoving but it was an old door so breaking it was an option. Turned out it had jammed on a bit of grit stuck underneath which stopped the latch disengaging even with the handle turned as it had raised the door just enough to stop me getting in.

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for your replies lads ,I drilled out the hole thing nothing to get in the way and it still would not open ,spoke to a local locksmith and the key rotates a pin in the end that slides a bar up or down ,when up the handle will not turn ,it appears the pin broke and the bar is up and will not budge (kev) it has wires up and left and right
so this morning I dismantled the green house took the putty out the garage window and pulled it out lent it against the wall and broke it 'ha' anyway all back together and a piece of ply in the window matching the one the kids broke years ago
thanks for all help
Mike :D

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,276 Posts
For future reference a jemmy in the top should unpin the top and then a strong pull in the middle is normally enough to dislodge the side pins. Now you know that fix it so you can't !! Angle iron screwed across the top with screws covered when door closed will stop levering down on top . At least one lock and hasp on the outside at sides will stop centre being pulled out

·
Premium Member
1,295 Posts
Glad you got sorted
But the bit that made me smile was we are mostly law abiding respectable folks on here, but you are into 2 pages of replys on how best to break into a garage maybe some have hidden pasts LOL...

·
Registered
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Kev tried a jemmy bar got the left free but could not budge the others spent hours ,in fact I spent so long I'm now drinking beer with fish n chips

·
Gym Junkie
6,213 Posts
For future reference a jemmy in the top should unpin the top and then a strong pull in the middle is normally enough to dislodge the side pins. Now you know that fix it so you can't !! Angle iron screwed across the top with screws covered when door closed will stop levering down on top . At least one lock and hasp on the outside at sides will stop centre being pulled out
On my garage door I fitted some mortice dead locks, they stop the door being levered up or being popped open, there are just some small holes visible on each side for the keys so they don't attract to much attention.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts