Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Slowly but surely
951 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for tips for building a simple, budget system for my truck. It’s got a 350 with ram-horn type manifolds, but nothing beyond that.

I have zero equipment (or talent) for bending/welding, so can I collect parts off the shelf to cut/join/etc to suit (without resorting to that flexi stuff)? It’s straight down from the manifolds and just looking for twin, side-exit pipes – nothing fancy.

Also, any tips for good, cheap, silencers? What diameter would you recommend for a stock 350 – 3” is surely overkill, but is it worth doing for the sound alone?

Many thanks :tup:

·
Premium Member
7,412 Posts
hi barney
i think its jetex that do all the bits that just clamp together with exhaust clamps.
thats straights/different degree bends/bits to go over the axle ect ect.
stock 350.
2" each side if you wanna keep the cost down

only bit where you may need a bit of welding is going from manifold to exhaust but im sure theres someone local who could do that for you.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I think USAutomotive in Bedford might be able to supply the bits you need to do a bolt on system, I think they had a Huth bender that can custom bend almost anything . would go for 21/2 inch turbo mufflers , 1 each side+ a 45 or 90 bend at the back to do the side exits.

·
Registered
348 Posts
exhaust bits

Hi Barney,Burton power in ilford do exhaust parts to bolt together,you can get them in mild or stainless steel:tup:

·
I am with the dark side..
129 Posts
Merlin sell Jetex parts with a mark-up.
Jetex have a good website, good prices and deliver very quickly. Simples.
It worked for well for me.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
Yep just got a load of bends off Jetex,ordered on their site and arrived next day :tup:
They were about the cheapest i found and good quality bends as well.
If you want straight tube it's cheaper to get 2 metre lengths from the motor factors.

·
Nowheresville
3,042 Posts
Yep just got a load of bends off Jetex,ordered on their site and arrived next day :tup:
They were about the cheapest i found and good quality bends as well.
If you want straight tube it's cheaper to get 2 metre lengths from the motor factors.
What is a 'good price' for 2 1/4" straight tube from a factors? I bought a couple of lengths locally expecting about £20 - £25 and it was £40 or more! Am I just plain out of touch on metal prices? Has petrol hit £2/gallon yet?:roll:

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
What is a 'good price' for 2 1/4" straight tube from a factors? I bought a couple of lengths locally expecting about £20 - £25 and it was £40 or more! Am I just plain out of touch on metal prices? Has petrol hit £2/gallon yet?:roll:
Sorry just noticed this,i paid £29.74 for 4 metres (2x2m) of 2" straight steel exhaust pipe from the motor factors.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts