1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Administrator
14,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
96 Posts
Darren, just done a quick google up up of 305 /350 head sets on the net and compared images. Seems the 350 set can be used ok on the 305.
The water ways in the gasket are smaller on purpose to restrict the flow of water around the block and head to give even flow and cooling.
Just slap them on you'll be ok.
Regarding your overheating, have you checked the water pump impellor has not rotted away? It maybe spinning ok on the outside but it could be turing a stump on the inside giving you no circulation. The state of the old gasket does look like the cooling system was not in very good condition. i.e no antifreeze corrosion protection.
Jon (by the way your old 700R4 done the converter in, not the box,)

·
Registered
84 Posts
The gaskets are different. I found out when I filled an engine with water after changing head gaskets only to find water pouring out the sump plug hole when I refilled the rad. This was on a 97 v8. The problem was a hair line crack in the head. So check that carefully and make sure the gasket is the same as the original your replacing, save yourself a lot of grief.

·
Premium Member
11,742 Posts
mm im not sure to be honest

£140 for a couple of hrs work then another £30 per head for a skim

i can prob find another pair of decent heads near that price
but you'll not know if they are decent or not until you fit them and maybe have the same problems. Have you had the core plugs out Darren. These blocks are prone to build up of rust in the water jacket if not ran on anti freeze or a rust inhibitor. My own small block was virtually choked to half way up the core plugs. I popped all the plugs and used scrapers, hooks and anything else I could find to scrape out the rust scale then blew it out with a air line. I did have my engine out and stripped at the time, so it was easy enough to get into all areas inside the block/water jacket.
You photos were quite conclusive that the 305 head gasket has smaller bore holes than the 350 gasket, so you're doing the right thing using the proper 305 gasket.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts