Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello guys, hope you can help me please.
i have swapped my sbc for a fresher one. used flywheel torque converter starter etc from my old engine. removed a bronze bush from the new engines crank (as it was a manual) then bolted it all back up to the original 350 gearbox.
so, tried to turn it over by hand... very very stiff.. removed starter, still the same... took out gearbox bell housing bolts, the gearbox moved back about 10mm and now i can turn the engine by hand (with the plugs out)
any ideas gentlemen ? there is no thin plate between engine and box, and i cant find any where saying it should have one.
appreciate any help. happy crimbo

·
Registered
5,531 Posts
The converter might not have seated correctly do not tighten bolts back up till this has been sorted ,I would remove box and refit converter till its sits correctly there should be a measurement on the web somewhere.

·
Premium Member
14,232 Posts
if not, is the flexplate bolted on the right way round? or does the crank stick out further from the block face more than the old engine? if it does you'll need the right flexplate to allow for the offset. regards, neil.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Hi

Sounds like the converter is not lined up in the pump drive in your gearbox ?
The converter should have at least 1/8" or so free play between the flex plate before
pulling the converter foward to bolt it to the flex plate..

Bob

·
Registered
5,531 Posts
Just reading it says push converter on shaft and spin clockwise till then you will a second clunk as hub aligns if not if not remove and retry till you do.

·
Registered
5,531 Posts
There's a post on youtube on what to look for when fitting a converter,type in fitting a gm 350 torque converter

·
Exceeded sell by date
7,741 Posts
Converter definitely. You need to drop it in with a couple of distinct clunks whilst turning it back and forth. Don't be brutal just let it do its thing.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thankyou so much for your replys, this is the first time ive used the site to ask a question, so impressed with all your help.
i bolted the converter to the flywheel , then pushed the box on, should i have put the converter on the box. then push it up to the flexiplate ?

·
matt black is for chalk
640 Posts
yup, fit the converter to the box,make sure its sat right in the pump drive, then offer the whole thing up to the motor, bolt the bellhousing up, then you should be able to bolt the flexplate to the converter.:tup:

·
Registered
76 Posts
I made the mistake once of putting a healthy smear of grease inside the bush fitted in the crank of my Consul Capri.
when the bell housing bolts were tightened it caused a hydraulic lock pushing the crank tight against the thrust
bearings stopping it from turning. It took ages to figure out what was causing it :grr:

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
sorry, theres more. just watched on youtube as sugessted how to install converter.
i pulled the gearbox right up to the engine. have i damaged the box. on youtube it says you may smash the pump.
can this be checked visually or is the damage inside the box ?
i was all inspired about your replys and what to do , and now im gutted i may have damaged the box... and i havnt even got out of my armchair

·
Banned
4,274 Posts
thankyou so much for your replys, this is the first time ive used the site to ask a question, so impressed with all your help.
i bolted the converter to the flywheel , then pushed the box on, should i have put the converter on the box. then push it up to the flexiplate ?
Yup you got it wrong by fitting like a clutch....... push the converter onto the box.... it will drop into place with two drops twist as you go then fit the box and from the underside turn the converter and line up the bolts one at a time then go round again and tighten up, fit the stone guard top up and jobs a good,n.

·
Banned
4,274 Posts
sorry, theres more. just watched on youtube as sugessted how to install converter.
i pulled the gearbox right up to the engine. have i damaged the box. on youtube it says you may smash the pump.
i was all inspired about your replys and what to do , and now im gutted i may have damaged the box... and i havnt even got out of my armchair
Fit it correctly and have a quick start up with an oil cooler outlet pipe going to a jar [ just a few seconds now ] you will soon see if your pumps working.

·
matt black is for chalk
640 Posts
with any luck youll get away with it, theres a chance that the pump drive may be damaged as it will have been stressed by not being in line, chances are though, the flexplate took it instead,i got away with it on the daimler,and it was pretty much the same scenario as yours, my excuse being that the engine and box wouldnt go in as a lump, and the box had to go in before the motor with zero room anywhere, good old daimler!!

·
Registered
5,531 Posts
Just fitted mine on the back of my engine but first measured the faces, the torque converter seats about 25mm + behind the face of the bell housing of the gearbox.

·
Dragging not Bragging
5,718 Posts
Until i read the above ^^^^^ i was going to say something that no-one else had suggested (was the box in gear) ......... but as you have said and seen the verter goes on the box first then you move it up to the flex plate once the box is bolted up :tup:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts