Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bought this '53 Vauxhall Velox a couple of weeks ago and after seeing 'OLY 52' I'm thinking of 2 door-ing and roof chopping the car. I've tried to find out if there's any way to contact the original builder but I've had no luck.
Any how, this is what I'm thinking but correct me if I'm wrong or there is an easier way.

Obviously cutting between the red lines and then around the rear window and laying it down a bit, is this correct or am I missing something?
The chop will be hopefully between 3-4 inches.

·
Registered
628 Posts
With my mates beetle we chopped the roof into 4sections and I filled the gaps

How about a proper call out for the original builder before you get the grinder out

Oh and don't forget to brace the inside of the car or itl twist very very badly

·
Speed Freak
1,716 Posts
As said above the roof will need more metal letting in as the area will be slightly larger. You'll need either another roof or strips letting in like a hot cross bun.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I know mate. I look at some done and they look cool but then I think if it was dropped to the floor with suicide rear doors it'd still look cool too

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,131 Posts
Have another look at OLY 52 , think you'll find it has a kustom chop rather than a custom chop?

On a kustom chop rear screen area is cut free on 3 sides ( obviously not the bottom)and 'laid down' to get a more pleasing flow towards the front . This also means you don't have to quarter the roof as you generally have length left over rather than not enough.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts