Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to replace the plug on my tow bar on my vivaro .The plug thingy for the lights for the caravan the female end was playing up.Im rushing as usual ment to be taking the mrs out for a Chinese and managed to replicate the 7 wires in sequence but 180 degrees out so back to front bugger ! So green wire and wire opposite on plug and earth fine but other 4 in wrong place.

Ok do it again wire properly and turn van lights on and presto the caravan lights all working and for the first time cruising lights and side lights yippee !

Go to start the van Fukin battery flat bollox !! Jump it with the leisure caravan battery and spinning over like mad and the first time in 3 years it won't start ?? Checked fuses all ok !

Helpppppp!! Wat have I done any electrical guys on here ??

·
Supercharged 461 cu in
1,407 Posts
A whole lot of modern vans and cars cannot be jump started as it frys the ECU. I know someone who recently did it on a citroen van and it cost £2780 to repair. hope it turns out to be a fuse or something for you

·
Deviant
3,518 Posts
Your leisure battery may not be able to start a van engine as it discharges slower so may be able to turn it over but not enough to heat the plugs too

wiring the plug wrong may have drained the power from your van battery in to your caravan battery if the tow lights and zig unit are both earthed on the body / chassis of the caravan

·
Premium Member
1,662 Posts
A whole lot of modern vans and cars cannot be jump started as it frys the ECU. I know someone who recently did it on a citroen van and it cost £2780 to repair. hope it turns out to be a fuse or something for you
+ 1 on this. It may be a coincidence but the transit ecm failed immediately after jump starting another vehicle. Another pump + fitting + a goon to come out and re program . -£500 later

Bob

·
1972 Formula 350 owner
673 Posts
Did you ever get it started again? I know its fairly common for modern ecus to fail under jump start circumstances but is it worth disconnecting the battery overnight whilst its charging to hopefully let the ecu reset in case its just that rather than an ecu failure? Wouldnt be the first time this has been a cure when similar things have happened to me.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Put it on charge all night tried yesterday a few cranks and no go !

Literally took air cleaner out jiggled with every wire I could see under the bonnet one on the mass censor and what I thought was fuel cut off got desperate jiggling everything tried again and it started straight up Jesus it's a miracle !

Unbelievably took my scooby into europit tyres last week managed to hammer the weights on the rims just a week after I'd sprayed them.i went ape shit and they have had it since Monday to refurb wheels fuked me around all day yesterday saying paint was wet .finally handed me the keys just before closing .Bloody thing was popping banging and wouldn't run a tall went apeshit with them telling them it was perfect when I dropped it off .just hope some greasy 17 year old hasn't messed with it got a turbo timer and ecu chips etc me thinks they done something to it .

I suggest to all on here to avoid europit tyres at all costs they have lied and cheated from start to finish.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts