Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell me what is the main difference between the 12, 18 and 33 inch long cherry bomb? Is it just the sound or something else? Also, is it better to have it welded on to my exhaust or is a clamp kit going to do the job? I have 53 Chevy Bel Air with a standard straight 6 engine and single exhaust. As a newbie this is my first question of many! Many thanks and hope you all have a killer weekend!

·
Premium Member
14,409 Posts
basically the longer it is the quieter it is, just because there's more silencer there.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I have an 18" on my caddy hearse, thats the only silencer i have in the system and its on its own welded section its clamped into the rest of the system,thats so that it can be replaced with a proper silencer or turned around to make it louder ;) no worries on noise though. You can sort of hear it here
at the 21 minute mark :)

·
Registered
422 Posts
As said above. The 12' are the loudest with the longer 22' being the most mellow.

My 50 chevy truck has an original single over axle exhaust with a 18' glasspack just in front of the rear wheel. Sounds like and old truck should.

If the cherrybombs are near the front (under the footwells). Its loud in the cab and more 'parpy' through the exhaust.

If the cherrybombs are behind the axle and towards the bumper the sound is a deeper tone.

Personally, im going for a split manifold - maybe Fentons, with dual over axle, pre axle cherries.

I don't like the raspy 50s sound. I live in a small village, I don't need the agro.

·
Gym Junkie
6,213 Posts
It may make a difference which way round they are installed as well, I have some silencers which when you looked inside they have loads of louvres inside so one way round the exhaust gasses would be forced into the wadding, the other it wouldn't, have absolutely no idea if there is a difference just seems logical is all.

·
Premium Member
14,409 Posts
yep the louvred ones are quieter one way round. the ones with the repforated tube inner don't matter which way.

·
Full Bloody Rebel!
3,426 Posts
Mine has 2 x 18", one per side on separate systems, under the front seat. No probs with noise in the cab at all. cruises at 50mph sound is find, even when we take friends out. Floor it and it's loud and barks!!! Perfect!

http://s18.photobucket.com/albums/b1...t=100_2845.mp4

Link won't work and I've forgotten my login.............
If anyone can fix it?

·
Registered
54 Posts
mines the louvered type and the louvers facing the engine (quieter mode) and its positioned just before the axle. There is apx 7 to 8 foot of straightish pipe before it and around 5 to 6 foot of curved pipe (over the axle) to the rear of it. I hope that helps in some way.

·
Registered
121 Posts
got a split manifold on mine with 2x20 inch cherries pre axle. sounds great around 2500- 3000 rpm. possibly a tad loud

[video]https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10152503515614258&set=vb.702454257&type=3[/video]

1 - 13 of 13 Posts