Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

Help with 'glass pickup bed

560 views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  henry's revenge 
#1 ·
Does anyone have a link to a build thread that shows how a fibreglass pickup bed was framed up and fitted? Struggling to see where to start with my '29 pickup........

Thanks

#2 ·
To be truthful I wouldn't bother . If you are building a steel frame for it all you may as well clad the bed in steel and be done with it. Steve Lang shows a how to make bed on his build on his Willy pickup on the NSRA site. That gives the general principle and if you want all the A moulding lines etc you can cut and bond the bed to the frame.

#3 ·
Yep. I get that, but want to have a look at my options. I don't like the bed I've got because of prefer a steel repro on, but where I live it rains more or less every day, and I'm doing a glass car so I have less rust issues and can actually use it. I want to know if people just bond ply into the sides and frame between, frame it all out or what.....

I know Steve and his work is awesome, but my metal working skills are 'average' at best. A repro bed is going to cost at least a grand, so would probably delay the car getting done another year.

Just want to weigh up my options.......

#5 ·
Decided to try and ship a repro flat pack bed. Can get one shipped for reasonable money - a lot less than I've spent on other less important stuff anyway. I don't really want a home fabricated bed or I would have knocked something up by now. I want to keep all the original detail, and by the time I've finished buying a tailgate I might as well just ship one

If anyone knows of someone in the uk that either has one or can ship, grateful for their contact details

Ta

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.