Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Administrator
14,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i took it for the first little drive and we have a few issues
the rear axle needs new bearings internally and pinion bearings at a minimum as it whines like a piggy

and the steering is so vague its dangerous
the play appears to be in the steering box

would i be better finding a new rear axle (the one that is on the truck is a 5 stud 68 impala)
and can i do anything with the steering box

any ideas on this please

thanks

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,124 Posts
Steerig boxes can be rebearinged and clearanced. first though, have you ever driven a steering box vehicle before and taking a central point on the steering wheel how much free play in either direction?

·
Premium Member
3,386 Posts
Steering box play can be tightened Darren. Grub screw with a nut round it on the top needs screwing in. If it's the same as passenger car ????

·
Deviant
3,518 Posts
on top of the box there will be a grub screw with a retaining nut undo the nut tighten the screw put the nut back on check again and adjust if needed simples

·
Administrator
14,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
ok on the side of the box i found a nut with a sloted insert in it I've done this up and yes its a lot better now
still a little bit of play but ill re test another day

now what do i do about the rear axle noise

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
You can overdo the adjustment on a worm and roller type box. It may feel ok in a straight line but see how it feels in corners. It may not self centre.
Rear axle bearings are cheap. If it's whining it's probably the diff. Is it under load or when trailing?

·
Deviant
3,518 Posts
Just check your prop uj's first if they are old and knackered or if new maybe not seated right
its worth looking at the simple stuff first

·
Administrator
14,116 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
its the diff bearings or pinion as i did the outer bearings a little while ago

henry the prop is brand new with all new bearings and the gearbox is a fully recon unit
thanks

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,124 Posts
If you're not used to a steering box it can feel shagged ( compared to rack and pinion) when it's not. The setting you have is MOT acceptable , dependent on steering wheel size. With a box you have o learn to use a loose grip and guide it along, slowly turning the steering slightly before a bend to set it up.

·
I'm Not Jed Clampett
2,725 Posts
Is the axle whining on drive, overun or all the time? If you're using an old car rear axle in your truck, you might have to change it out a few times for other secondhand ones till you luck into a good one. 60s/70s yanks will probably have done Starship Enterprise mileage by the time they reach the breakers yard. A new CW & P and bearings for your existing axle would probably work out cheaper -and easier than repeatedly changing out the rear axle.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts