Rods 'n' Sods banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone remember this Mini truck? I believe it had a hemi in the truck bed area ,and I think rear wheels (or tyres) were from a plane? I first saw a pic of this in an old drag racing mag. As far as I can recall the mag was in black and white ,and was one of the early british drag racing mags. I think it was the magazine of a now defunct drag racing body ..BDRA ???? I think Geoff Jago also had a monthly customising article in it called mild to wild.

·
Historian
1,564 Posts
Does anyone remember this Mini truck? I believe it had a hemi in the truck bed area ,and I think rear wheels (or tyres) were from a plane? I first saw a pic of this in an old drag racing mag. As far as I can recall the mag was in black and white ,and was one of the early british drag racing mags. I think it was the magazine of a now defunct drag racing body ..BDRA ???? I think Geoff Jago also had a monthly customising article in it called mild to wild.
here's some pics Rodeo. As you say it was in Drag Racing and Hot Rod Magazine and had a Hemi in the back, it also got featured in colour in Hot Car and you're right it had aircraft aluminium wheels on the back, as did Walt Ithel on his twin engined rail. I guess they were cheaper than Halibrands back then!

·
Having a cuppa
2,629 Posts
Looks like a real piece of British hot rodding ingenuety of the type that mostly disapeared when the "right" parts and cars became more widely available.

I've seen "Drag Racing & Hot Rod" magazine mentioned a few times in these history threads but never seen an actual copy. How long was it around for?
I would imagine copies are quite rare and thus expensive these days but are they worth seeking out?

·
Premium Member
8,067 Posts
Looks like a real piece of British hot rodding ingenuety of the type that mostly disapeared when the "right" parts and cars became more widely available.

I've seen "Drag Racing & Hot Rod" magazine mentioned a few times in these history threads but never seen an actual copy. How long was it around for?
I would imagine copies are quite rare and thus expensive these days but are they worth seeking out?
THEY ARE GREAT MAGS & HARD TO COME BY, THEY ARE FULL OF GREAT BLACK & WHITES & DETAILED RACE MEETS. ANOTHER ONE IS NATIONAL DRAG RACER, ALSO VERY RARE & HARD TO COME BY, ALTHOUGH I DO KNOW A LITTLE MAN WHO HAS PRACTICALLY THE WHOLE COLLECTION AS DOUBLES AND IS GRADUALLY GETTING THEM ALL ON E BAY-NOW!!....:smoke:

·
Registered
228 Posts
Does anyone remember either the same Mini P/UP or this other one again Hemi but Daimlar, engine in back bed was painted in Union Jack flag and im sure Dave Young owned this for a while in Farnham Surrey. around 1972-74 ish.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes that was it ! Drag Racing and Hot Rod Magazine! I only ever saw the black and white pic,never saw the Hot Car pics!Strange the things you remember eh?
Im sure it was in that mag that Geoff Jago ran the Mild to Wild feature on modding various British tin. I remember there were sketches of a Pop with a stretched 'nose' on the grille.

·
Nostalgia freak
4,994 Posts
Im sure it was in that mag that Geoff Jago ran the Mild to Wild feature on modding various British tin. I remember there were sketches of a Pop with a stretched 'nose' on the grille.
il have a look later:tup:

·
Registered
277 Posts

OK, a brief history lesson....

This magazine started life as "Drag Racing" & was published by Alan Burgess, a Karting enthusiast who also published "Karting"! It ran from March 1965 to March 1966 at which time it was bought by John Bennett & renamed "Drag Racing & Hot Rod Magazine" & became the "club" magazine of the BHRA (hence the addition of Hot Rod). This ran from April 1966 to Dec 1969, I became Photographic Editor in 1967.

British Drag Racing magazine ran from Jan 1965 to October 1965 & was the BDRA magazine. Prior to all these was "Kool Kams" which was the first BHRA newsletter & was briefly resurrected By Peter Bartlett in 1970.

I have 1-1/2 complete editions of DR & HRM & several duplicates (for swapsies for ones I haven't got!), most of Drag Racing & a few Kool Kams & British Drag Racing magazines.

·
Nostalgia freak
4,994 Posts
OK, a brief history lesson....

This magazine started life as "Drag Racing" & was published by Alan Burgess, a Karting enthusiast who also published "Karting"! It ran from March 1965 to March 1966 at which time it was bought by John Bennett & renamed "Drag Racing & Hot Rod Magazine" & became the "club" magazine of the BHRA (hence the addition of Hot Rod). This ran from April 1966 to Dec 1969, I became Photographic Editor in 1967.

British Drag Racing magazine ran from Jan 1965 to October 1965 & was the BDRA magazine. Prior to all these was "Kool Kams" which was the first BHRA newsletter & was briefly resurrected By Peter Bartlett in 1970.

I have 1-1/2 complete editions of DR & HRM & several duplicates (for swapsies for ones I haven't got!), most of Drag Racing & a few Kool Kams & British Drag Racing magazines.
Chears for the issue info:tup:
So what years/dates did Kool Kams run :?:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts