Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Evening, I am down in the sunny south west, Truro to be exact. Considering buying an Astro van but don't know what to look for, haven't seen any down this way to look at either.

·
Premium Member
2,030 Posts
Good to see another from our neck of the woods mate :tup: there's been a few astro's for sale in the area recently, a guy called Kev is selling one in Redruth at the mo but like most of them it's a 4.3 v6. Can't miss it, it's halfway up Southgate street and it's a silver grey colour.

Welcome to the forum bud

·
Premium Member
11,742 Posts
welcome aboard from sunny Scotland:wave:
Astros are all V6 as far as I know, the V8 went into the full size vans, but the 4.3V6 is three quarters of a 5.7 V8. Got one for sale incidentally but it's a feckin' long way from you to me:tup:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks, would be happy with the v6 and most seem to be a feckin long way from here... but then I have travelled to buy cars before so no issue there. Would like to have a proper look at one locally before I travelled 100s miles to buy one.

·
Premium Member
2,030 Posts
usual stuff like rust but i have been told by a few guys that the 4wd versions are more hassle than they're worth unless they've been looked after but i guess you get that with any car. engines are pretty good though, and the auto boxes have their faults like any other transmission. give me a shout if theres anything i can do to help mate

·
Muffin tester.
250 Posts
Well hello ! I have an Astro, Know it inside out and I am in Penzance, Martin (bartnpenni) comes down here to my place and helps out on my projects, I have been out of orbit for a couple of months because of new baby but its spring time and I am feeling like I need to crack on with my projects again so you are more than welcome to come down, drink tea and talk Astros the next time we all get together in my workshop again.

PM me for an address and phone number.
Paul

·
Muffin tester.
250 Posts
I ran my Astro as a daily for over a year, I only took it off the road a couple of months ago because I need to replace the rear brake shoes and look at a couple of other jobs and the only way its going to get done is if I stop using it, they carry on working even if they are broken ! (My parking brake is useless but just good enough to stop it rolling away)

I rebuilt the trans completely as I was not told it had a problem when I bought it and the seller covered up the faults by putting new fluid in it (so when I dipped it and had a sniff it was nice and fresh) and they also bunged some sort of spell on it to let me get it home from London before It went bang ! They are not complicated vans, just fiddly for access to the oily bits. Mine is AWD and its been fine, great on wet grass on show fields.

Like I said, you are welcome to pop down, I need to organise with Martin when he and Penni are next coming down, I can let you know when I know. There are other interesting folk down here too, I am sure they will be along shortly.

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
Well hello ! I have an Astro, Know it inside out and I am in Penzance, Martin (bartnpenni) comes down here to my place and helps out on my projects, I have been out of orbit for a couple of months because of new baby but its spring time and I am feeling like I need to crack on with my projects again so you are more than welcome to come down, drink tea and talk Astros the next time we all get together in my workshop again.

PM me for an address and phone number.
Paul
one tip though dont start paul of singing,he has his own song paulmanta its on youtube as well

·
Muffin tester.
250 Posts
See I told you the interesting folk would turn up... Evening Kosher !

For the record there is no evidence anywhere of me singing, it's not good so no-one has been mad enough to record me yet.

Anyway, shouldn't you be finishing a hot rod or brushing up on your French or something ? :)

·
Registered
1,208 Posts
See I told you the interesting folk would turn up... Evening Kosher !

For the record there is no evidence anywhere of me singing, it's not good so no-one has been mad enough to record me yet.

Anyway, shouldn't you be finishing a hot rod or brushing up on your French or something ? :)
no but ive just bought a citreon dyanne if you are going anywhere near durham let me know please mate,need to get it back down here somehow

1 - 20 of 30 Posts