Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
479 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What,s the score in fitting HID lights into classic vehicles as regards legality or future legality (Jan 2012)?

Should they only be fitted into projector type headlight units?

Maybe question for Kev?

·
Rust buster...
602 Posts
HIDs have to be fitted in self levelling light units with built in washers. Unless you have both it will be a fail on the MOT from 2012.

Its always been the case in the C&U regs anyway, but hasn't been fully enforced before.

·
Registered
12,503 Posts
Why bother when you can convert to Zenon bulbs with similar performance for less money?

·
Registered
935 Posts
Why bother when you can convert to Zenon bulbs with similar performance for less money?
Similar colour or similar performance???? It's a good question petespops, I have a full spare ballast and bulb from when I put new ones in my BMW and was thinking of putting it on my Harley.

·
Premium Member
1,751 Posts
had zenon bulbs in the daily just thought they were no better than the standard ones so changed to 6000k hid's noticed a brighter white light so have now removed the zenon from the astro van and replaced with hid's..

steve

·
Premium Member
4,452 Posts
had zenon bulbs in the daily just thought they were no better than the standard ones so changed to 6000k hid's noticed a brighter white light so have now removed the zenon from the astro van and replaced with hid's..

steve
Hope you have suspension height correctors and headlamp washers, or it will be an mot failure next year.

·
Registered
394 Posts
The MOT tester who did my previous Mondeo with standard fit HIDs was so ignorant he told me to adjust the "little thumbwheel" and then was surprised when I told him there wasn't one because it was automatic. So I seriously doubt you'd get a fail for HIDs without washers and auto leveling after the rules change. Which is a shame actually because I'm getting tired of being blinded by badly installed retro fit HIDs - I am a fan of HIDs (have them on current DD car) but only when used responsibly. Wandering slightly off topic - isn't it amazing how many people don't seem to notice one light is pointing skyward, or has failed? I wonder about thier eyesight.

As for reasons why the rules - how many times have you been dazzled by a car with 5 peeps + luggage, or a trailer or caravan? I don't think many people seem to know what that thumbwheel thing is for and as HIDs are brighter (a woman I worked with swore blind it was to change the dip to the direction for foreign driving), it needs to be auto for those who don't or forget, or the chumps who think their lights are "set too low" when in fact they need glasses.

·
Dragging not Bragging
5,718 Posts
Yeah I've been dazzled but then I was also dazzled before HIDs

And go back even further I used to drive on side lights till they made that illlegal

Seems to me the laws change due to each generation becoming less considerate and this throw away age we live in

Look at BnP who out there have been followed and been dazzled by my lights (candles in the wind :lol:) but I do feel the need to improve its lights

·
Nowheresville
3,056 Posts
Don't see the point in them - they're just annoying to other road users, and a complete waste of time when driving ten feet from the back of the car in front. I'd ban them, along with those stupid fairy lights every new German and wannabe Chav-wagon has along the front.

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,205 Posts
Don't see the point in them - they're just annoying to other road users, and a complete waste of time when driving ten feet from the back of the car in front. I'd ban them, along with those stupid fairy lights every new German and wannabe Chav-wagon has along the front.
Mandatory fitment to all cars from April 2012 Andy ...except BIVA vehicles ;)

·
Registered
727 Posts
I to think they (hid) are to bright, sure I got dazzled from other types of lights, but these gits drill holes in my retiners and bugger my vision for a bit. Normaly when I am waiting at a junction and someone with hid's turns up the road I'm sat on, it hurts, and when the car behind goes over bumps n stuff. There is a lot of unlit roads round here (west country) and if being folowed by hid's I have to drive into the Cortina shaped shadow in front of me such is the brightnes of his lights. I hate the fact that I need to uprate my lights just to light my bit of road thats in shadow caused by someone else's too bright lights.
And Kev is it the fairy lights or the hid's that are mandatory from 2012 built cars? Either way its kin ridiculace.
Martin.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts