Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 20 of 204 Posts

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
V8 powered trophy winning showboat from way back, anybody know anything about it?

Someone's gone to town on this in the past, could it be anymore 70'/80's vanning scene? I like it!

Had a couple of small vans over the years, and a pretty trick T4 a bit back, but never a large old custom van, I fancy digging out my wedge shoes and a pair of flares, won't fit in 'em but hey!!

Cheers,
Micky 'The Hippy' T.

·
Super Moderator
7,398 Posts
One of Frank Morgan's vans from way back I believe.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Evil... Frank the original builder, or one he just owned at one time?

Mopar... Should be soon mate, I've been looking round for something for a few months now and this came up, had a few itches that needed scratching and a custom van was one of them. Not sure what to do with it as yet, whether to paint it or run it as it is for a while, or put my roadster on a trailer when it's done and kip in the van, I'm not one for trailering anything to be honest I'd rather drive 'em, we'll see, you're only here once mate so go for it eh?... Decisions, decisions! Lol

Micky T.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thanks Squeaka, comments like that will make me leave it as it is then.

I do like all the older van models both British and American, and ideally a Cf1 or a 70's Chevy G10 would have been my 1st choice, but my favorite is the Bedford Cf, I think it makes the perfect Custom van, got a great shape to it.

Micky T.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well the day of reckoning had arrived, 7.30am this morning I got the phone-call I'd been waiting for, the van had turned up but the lorry couldn't get close to our house because of the tiny roads and the large truck, so I nipped off and met up with him and got him as close as I could. We unloaded it and I drove it the short distance home, coughing and back firing I parked it up and had a look over what I had bought, mmm, not quite what I had expected, so off to work and to think of a plan. So back home the first thing I see is the van, this time round I'm quite excited about it now, ideas are coming thick n fast and phone-calls are being made, the rebuild has started! Having had a good look round it, the interior is nothing, I'll build/modify whatever it takes, that's easy, and Helen will do the covering, she reckons she's looking forward to that. The underneath is a work of art, boxed chassis, headers, etc, all's fine. The 3.9L Rover V8 was built by 'Real Steel' with a Holley/Offenhauser set up, the BW75 box shifts ok, Buick rear axle with finned drums seems good. The bodywork is as straight as a straight thing with no rust at all, the body mods are all in steel, even I can stand on 'em and it doesn't flex, they're solid, a few marks here and there which will be put right asap, and I'm now gonna do a colour change, the murals are just too leary for me, so a straight colour and some pinstriping, might throw a bucket full of flake at it, we'll see? Main thing is I'm gonna put a side opening door in it on the drivers side, having a look at that tonight, so in hindsight it's a great starter, a real nice project that's not to hard to do and will look the nuts when rebuilt, plus the few extra ideas I've got for it. It won't be on the road as quickly as I first thought and I'll miss a couple of events I was planning on taking it to, but it will defo be worth the wait, I've still got the '32 to do but I'll spread myself enough to do it, this is gonna be a nice van when it's done. Looking at the paperwork it's been in storage for an age, so quickly as possible this old barn find showboat will be back out clocking up the miles before I know it fingers crossed. Looking forward to this one!

Why do we do it??? Cos we're suppose to like it that's why, I am looking forward to this one though!
Micky T.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I need a pair of portholes for my van, consider any shape, anybody help me out please?? Also sidepipes or zoomies, anybody?
Thanks,
Micky .

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yes mate, came from Ireland today, Maurice Craig sold it a while back to the person I bought it from, it's been laid up for ages, I just fancied resurrecting it.

Micky T.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So, my idea of having a side opening door didn't work out, so now I'm gonna cut the rear and make a 1-piece top-hinged door, this will be a lot easier as the corner strength of the van is still there, this I'm going to start on Sunday, Saturday me and a mate are gonna get in running better, in the meantime, I've taken the 2 rams off each of the gull-wing doors and replaced it with 1 that's a lot more heavy duty, easier getting in and out and looks/works a lot better. I've also gutted the inside, so when the rear door is done in a couple of days or so I'll start to refit it out in the way of beds n cupboards etc.... "Keep on Trucking" as they say!

Micky T.

·
Super Moderator
7,398 Posts
I think a (re)build thread is needed...........

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'll get this weekend out of the way so it's well on it's way, take some pics and post 'em asap.

Micky T.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Gutted the inside, there's nothing left, time to get the big grinder out and cut a rather large hole in the back... Gulp!!!

Micky T.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Also, I don't know what to make of the roof spoiler so guide me guys please.
1) Leave it on?
2) Put a different one on, if so what style?
3) Don't have one at all?
Now's the chance to do something before painting it, wadda yer reckon?

Thanks,
Micky T.

·
Care in the Community
2,759 Posts
Personally I think the roof spoiler is shite, I hate that kind of thing, less is more for me, but it depends how it's been made and what sort of a job it is to remove and repair/restore the old roof, it's your van though, and like you say now is the time to do what you want to make it yours.

·
Premium Member
8,067 Posts
Take it off and leave it off it aint really 70s, looks a bit like one of those hideous jap contraptions you see over there with the absolutely huge front and rear pathetic spoilers...

·
Nostalgia freak
4,994 Posts
:cool:
Something about this reminds me of "Invader" -must be the front spoiler/archs and obviously the gull wing doors.That had roof spoilers How about a smaller roof spoiler?.

Looking forward to how you build it anyway:tup:

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
:cool:
Something about this reminds me of "Invader" -must be the front spoiler/archs and obviously the gull wing doors.That had roof spoilers How about a smaller roof spoiler? Looking forward to how you build it anyway:tup:
sjb... It's definitely going to have a spoiler, just can't make my mind up as to what type yet, the thing is I hate the one that's on, but the more I look at it the more it fits in with the style of the van though. I really want to take it off but just can't bring myself to do it??

With the garage being full of '32 roadster, and the inclement weather on it's way, plan B had to be put into action, the bloody things we do for this damn hobby!!!

Micky T.

1 - 20 of 204 Posts