Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good Afternoon,
I have a track/lakes modified T, running a Pontiac Iron Duke motor fitted with a holley 5210 carb. Its a heavy old lump, that I'm looking to change soon, but in the mean time its running very rich, and dies and misfires on acceleration. Anyone have anything to do with the 5210 ?. I cant seem to find out a great deal about it, and I weant to see if I can get it running a bit better, until I can find a reasonable 4 cyl motor and auto box ( no room for a 3rd pedal i'm afraid ).
I have read the carb is a 32/36 Webber with a different sticker on, but again, I cant find any real info.
Also, has anyone used a 1.8 Merc motor and auto box, I was thinking about a MX5 1,8 engine and box, but they appear to have become thin on the ground, a couple of years ago people couldnt give them away.
Thanks for looking
Dave.

·
Registered
3,238 Posts
i think its a copy of the webber dgv that was originally designed for ford so possibly also had a motorcraft equivelent, you could probably fit a webber off of a 3ltr ford (if you can find one) but i dont think the original air filrer will fit.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Well, I had a 3.0 Capri years ago, so had a look in the garage for the old carb, I couldnt find it. . . .BUT, managed to find a 32/36DGV carb . . . ! So im going to rebuild it this weekend and fit it, see what happens ! Any carb guru,s out there who could possibly
advise me on jets sizes etc. Or will the jets out of the Holley 5210 go in. . . .hmmmmmm

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, rebuilt the aging Weber, fitted the bugger and then had a long thought about the linkage !. The Weber operates the other way to the Holley, so the cable and all its levers and rods ( inc kick down cable ) are now redundant. Then my thoughts turned to " best see if the bugger runs first ".
So with of bit of spare fuel pipe and a bit of coaxing it fired straight up !. Tick over was fine, revved better than ever before and sounded sweet. . . . then I noticed a strong smell of fuel. The new gasket on the accelerator pump was pissing fuel all over the hot exhaust manifold, que lots of swearing and a quick change of underpants. I replaced the gasket with the old one, and all is well. I have ordered a fancy throttle cable, bracket and replacement fitting for the end of the butterfly shaft ( carbs are popular with the roundy roundy lads who fit them to Zetechs ), so all should be good.
Strange thing, the engine sounds quieter ( cant have it all I suppose ! ) but drives much nicer, just a slight hesitation when I first open the throttle. So now just the kick down cable to sort and Im calling this one a win. TBH, with the original carb and cable assembly, I dont think I have ever had the throttle fully ( as in both butterfly s ) open, so hoping the new cable assembly should sort this aswell.
cheers,
Dave

1 - 4 of 4 Posts