Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having a bit of trouble getting my Holley to run after fitting a conversion kit to get rid of a duff metering plate and float kindly supplied by Ade at American V8 Engines 07752 270008 or 01922 454554 after 6pm on here, see here

http://www.rodsnsods.co.uk/forum/chat/holley-problem-226489

My problem is that it will not idle or run at low revs but will run at high revs.
I have a solenoid switch to stop the petrol for when I run lpg and have found if I close the valve, as the petrol runs down in the float bowls it runs great but as soon as I open the valve the engine dies unless at high revs.
I have been guilty of running lpg and not switching to petrol very often so was wondering what may have dried up or siezed/blocked in the carb to make it appear to be overfueling.
Even when I turned the mixture screws right in it still ran and stalled whenever I opened the valve.
At one point I did get it running for about five minutes but it ran out of petrol as I was using new stuff in a container to eliminate any stale fuel problem I might have but then would not run again.

If I let the fuel run down and just flick the valve open for a second as it splutters it runs okay but again as soon as I open the valve it kills the engine.

The accelerator pump seems to be working okay and fuel is not coming out when I remove the float bowl level plugs.

Any help on this one welcome

·
richard rawlplug
8,132 Posts
Needle valve has not got jammed open by a bit of shit in the fuel..?
your floats should control this...if ones split it will cause the problem....
Check the idle slots are not blocked in the base of the carb...its a carb off job and look on the underside. ..

ask your lad to help you as it involves spanners and the like....he will guide you....:incheek:

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought it was the floats but I tried to run it with the float level bungs out and the petrol didn't come out so assumed all is working as it should. Will take the carb off when I am off shift

·
I'm Not Jed Clampett
2,725 Posts
Just a quick bump for any more ideas
Check that your new metering plate and the gasket is an exact match of the one you took off. There are a number of different types of both, if the fuel runners and hole positions don't match exactly on them both, the slow running won't work properly.

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just a quick update that may help anyone running lpg. The problem was the power valve (think that's the term) on the front of the carb inside the float bowl had came loose probably from what kapri mentioned the extreme cold to hot expanding and contracting the alloy bits.

This will become a six monthly check for me from now on, as the carb is running sweet now on petrol or lpg

·
richard rawlplug
8,132 Posts
Even me...?

glad your lad sorted you out....hes a good un.

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,204 Posts
Just a quick update that may help anyone running lpg. The problem was the power valve (think that's the term) on the front of the carb inside the float bowl had came loose probably from what kapri mentioned the extreme cold to hot expanding and contracting the alloy bits.

This will become a six monthly check for me from now on, as the carb is running sweet now on petrol or lpg
:tup: :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts