Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My car usually runs on lpg but due to it being a big block I need it to run on petrol in case of no lpg available.

When I installed the lpg I got the car to run on petrol as well but when I switched it over the other day it would run at full revs but not idle or run at mid range.

When I switched back to lpg as the float bowls emptied before I switched the engine ran sweet for a few seconds which led me to think it was over fuelling so took the bowls off.

When I took the rear one off I found the screws on what I think is the metering plate were loose and one was sitting in the bowl as it had unscrewed itself over time.

I tightened everything up but no joy but whilst I was checking I spotted these cracks in the plate and wondered if this was the problem.

Any advice welcome and does anyone know why they have cracked perhaps Chinese alloy.

·
richard rawlplug
8,122 Posts
Looks like a cheap casting..

are you sure the problem is not operator incompetence. ...:beuj:

:incheek:

·
Registered
491 Posts
For a start, check that the blue gasket is the right one, and that its not for use with a metering block, the metering plate + the thin brown line/gasket sometimes bolt directly on to the main body, as for the cracks, they do not look good but might not be leaking. Get the gaskets sorted first (new) and have another try.
What is the carb P/N (on the choke horn) ?

·
Registered
681 Posts
you can get a conversion kit to replace the cast jet assembly. making the carb the same as the front with a block between the center casting and the float bowl
. normal jets are then screwed in. i have all in stock.

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,146 Posts
It may be down to the fact the lpg runs very cold so carb getting VERY cold and then reheating which can unscrew fittings !!! . I know Holmsey, suffered problems with his brass fuel bowls collapsing when running on lpg and plastic floats fixed it. Think that was teh floats getting very cold and then being rapidly reheated when the warmer petrol was introduced back into the bowls.

·
Off the Xmas card list
24,146 Posts
PS . You can get a app for your phone that not only tells you where the nearest station is but also gives you directions as well!

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cheers for the pointers will look for the P/N later as I am on nights at the moment

The brass thing is relevant as I have one plastic float and one brass one that was totally disfigured but airtight

Might be worth doing the conversion as it used to run fine the only change is the lpg.

I have got the ap already Kev and very good it is too

Operator incompetence should not be in your vocabulary L.i.a.m. as you never suffer from it due to your car rarely moving unless towed by Terry :finger::bigsmile:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts