Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Helloooo folks; been having a spot of bother with the Coupe. It's running a standard Rover V8, Auto 'box and a Offenhauser manifold and Holley 390.

The problem is, it gives the impression that it's running out of fuel (dying 'slowly' rather than straight away) Usually, after a minute or two, it starts up and runs ok. The glass fuel filter is always full. I have taken the primary bowl off a couple of times and given it a good cleaning/blowing out and replaced the gaskets and 'o' rings on the transfer tube.
I had a brand new Holley (but sold it to a chap on here; if you still have it and dont want it, can I buy it back please?) and if I still had it, I would put it on and possibly rule out carb problems. The Holley thats on it was brand new when I put it on, but that was 18 years ago.
Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions? Does this sound like a typical thing Holleys do when they get old?
Any advice would be nicely recieved. Thanks, Billy. :tup:

P.S. I'm running a Petronix electronic ignition and a FlameThrower coil. They're about 4 years old.

·
My name is Martin
2,621 Posts
Check the float levels when it's running. I have clear plugs on mine instead of the normal holley screw

·
Registered
73 Posts
As above, it's possible the float levels are set too low. A ball park way of setting the float levels is to remove the bowl, turn it upside down and eye squarely the float and its mounting screws. The top edge of the float (or bottom as viewed upside down) should be level with the middle of the two screws. Unlock and adjust the level screw 'till it is, you'll be able to see it move. Fine tune with the adjuster once back together and the engine running by observing the fuel just dribbling from the sight plug, Gas it a couple of times to get the accelerator pump to use fuel from the bowl and check the level again. Repeat 'till it's right. Here's a tip:- Have an extinguisher handy just in case, fuel squirts out the adjuster if you don't have the correct holley tool and the sight plug dribbles as mentioned.
HTH's
Tig :tup:

·
Registered
2,036 Posts
Is yer mixture set up right

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the replies folks. All of the above now seems to be in order. Not taken it out on a long run yet but...if it still plays up...I'm thinking more towards an iffy petrol pump. The one that's on is a Jag pump and it was old when I put it on 18 years ago so, was thinking it may be breaking down now and again which would starve the carb of fuel.
Thanks again, much appreciated. :tup:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts