Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some may find this of interest at what you can turn junk into. I needed a small English wheel for a project and couldn't believe the price which put me off so thought i'd have a go at making one. As I only needed a smallish one I got away with using the pillar drill as the frame and held the top roller in the chuck. It all woks well and thought it may help others by posting here.

Having trouble posting photo's

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Superb. I want to do an even smaller one (!!) for making ally panels in 1:24/25 for my car & bike models now .
Nothing too complex just yet , even used to make seam lines etcetera perhaps ?? but we all start somewhere right ! :D
Now how to make 1:64 moon discs ?? :wacky:

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Superb. I want to do an even smaller one (!!) for making ally panels in 1:24/25 for my car & bike models now .
Nothing too complex just yet , even used to make seam lines etcetera perhaps ?? but we all start somewhere right ! :D
Now how to make 1:64 moon discs ?? :wacky:
P1060307.jpg View attachment 285930

Try making one from a G cramp like this , the tricky part is shaping the bottom roller if you cant find something suitable. I did mine by using a big nut and bolt through the roller bearing and ground it while rotating it in the pillar drill. It works well for small stuff.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts

Here you go these are inserts that go inside plumb blocks available separately and in loads of different sizes, we get ours through Brammer bearings but you should be able to get on ebay or any good bearing supplier

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
I'm teaching myself how to use the wheel on a project before attempting my build. It all seems so easy when you watch utube .It's slow and am finding things a bit tricky and a big learning curve.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I had a go on an English wheel at one of the car shows last year, always been
fascinated by what you can do with them,after about 5 minutes I started to get the
hang of it, the guy selling the remanufactured wheels does one day lessons also
which would be a big help, I seem to remember that when feeding the material
through the rollers you have to teach your head to think opposite to what you want to do,
I.E. when you want to go left you really need to go right,

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts
Ya I noticed that when I had a go, opposite to what you think. You think it will go all wrong but it comes out reasonable.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts