Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
4,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
********************************* HOME MADE GLASSPACKS! ********************************

Due to lack of space underneath the van shop bought mufflers wont fit and cherry bombs wouldnt give the desired silencing effect,so here are a pair of 10x6x3 home made silencers/mufflers.
The baffles can be bought from any big wholesale exhaust outlets at around £6 each.The ends I have made from 3mm mild steel,radiused by one inch on the corners,easily done by using a spray can bottom for the right radius,a 2-1/4 hole saw is used for the pipe spaces.

Firstly measure the required length of the box and then weld the exhaust pipes and end plates to the baffle.

Draw a centre line through the 16x10 mild steel sheet and line up with the centre of the end plates,tack them into place at each end making sure the end plates are flat and line up to each other then inch by inch tack weld until one side each of the plates until you have gone round two radius"s,a G clamp helps here.

.Stuff the muffler with glass fibre matting ( I used fireproof loft insulation that was spare ) nice and tight into the boxes covering all around the baffles and continue to weld the sheet around until the seam is set then fully weld all round.

Job done,cost £18 all in!!! looks "old school" which is the look im aiming for :cool:

·
Premium Member
4,385 Posts
I did the same thing in 1975, I had to make silencers to go around a cross member. I had the advantage of having Burgess Silencers in the next town, where there's a will there's a way.

Rog.

·
Banned
4,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I did the same thing in 1975, I had to make silencers to go around a cross member. I had the advantage of having Burgess Silencers in the next town, where there's a will there's a way.

Rog.
jees Rog,your showing your age! to be honest I prefer to make my own stuff than buy it,good source of enjoyment and cheaper too! tight git :lol:

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
I used to use loft insulation in the exhausts I made for my Buells but it soon breaks down and blows out.
Acustafil is the stuff you need, and also wire wool wrapped around the perferated tube ,they will then work a treat:cool:

·
Banned
4,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I used to use loft insulation in the exhausts I made for my Buells but it soon breaks down and blows out.
Acustafil is the stuff you need, and also wire wool wrapped around the perferated tube ,they will then work a treat:cool:
ye,my mate used it for some big mufflers he made,Im too tight to buy it tho! :tup:

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Fair play FV, keep it up your doing a great job:tup:

·
Banned
4,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Bulkhead!

Bulkhead fabrication was the order of the day! Beats sittin in xmas traffic ;) Ive left plenty of space under the dashboard for wiper motor and heater box etc,then put a 4 inch shoulder on then dropped it 5 inches so not to appear bulky and ugly.

A mix of 18 and 20"s gauge has been used for the strength and workability,its tacked into place ready for the gearbox tunnel part,if anyone is unsure how to shape and narrow the middle panel I will explain in the next post. I bought some very nice tight mandrel bent 90 degree elbows ( ebay ) for the exhaust where it fits round the jag diff and fabbed/weded some support brackets on,

I tried dye formed ones but they filled the space out too much and would catch the tank,gary in lytham does a good line in mild or stainless exhaust and bent the main tubes in the pic,

Pm me if you need his services,see ya next time for the finished bulkhead :tup:

·
Banned
4,329 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
some one put a tech post up,im sick of seeing mi glasspack thread!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts