Rods 'n' Sods - UK Hot Rod & Street Rod Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As there are so many cool custom n rods on this site and else where.
Just wondering with you guys n gals out there with hood-less rods on keeping the engine running in the wet.

ie ignition leads - i remember years back on my 1st few cars cleaning the leads and applying a spray sealant over the leads to stop water ingress etc.
is this the only option or still available? or are these rods just "fair weather" machines?

cheers
Andy

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
ive never had problem with the car in the rain without a hood, doesnt really get wet due to heat from the engine. ive come through some torrential downpours where i couldnt really see and was worried but it kept on going. ive never used anything to seal leads or dizzy cap or any of the electrical parts.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
35kid - so what about induction do you have the usual biscuit tin type airfilter on your custom / rod?
as with the information mad ideas a foot then with the current car! if thats the case!

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
the car has a tri-carb and i was using small slash cut stacks on the carbs so the tops were open to the elements. all i had inside was a small piece of gauze to stop the worst of the crap getting into the carbs

heres a pic of the stacks

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
picture not working but dont worry so guess i would need to mock up some heat jacket for those times when its a bit cold in the air to stop carb freezing as have experienced this in the past on my 1st few cars having made my own "k&n" style filter!

·
Registered
459 Posts
I just give my distributer cap & leads a blast of WD40 every now & then, one time i was at a show & my car was stationary in heavy rain on the show feild all afternoon. When it was time to go she started right on the button!.
The tierdrop air filter casing draws air from slots underneath, so water geting in there isnt a problem when running.

·
Registered
254 Posts
i have a canvas sheet for overnight at the shows, but driving is not an issue, ive been in full storm weather, the thing i worried about was sliding around on cross ply's. i run mine all year, pancake filter in the winter, zoomies in the summer, or on top stubbie;s. i guess cause most rods have modded engines, they run warmer anyway so winter isn't a prob, just means i turn the fan on less often. never known anyone to have a prob, mine sits on the drive with just a plastic b and q sheet over, always starts,

Oh it;s a V8 rover 3.5, 12.2 on the 1/4..........pics in the gallery

·
"call 0-800 Apocalypse"
5,229 Posts

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ive been in SOCAL not far from sandiego etc region and its rained before!
even rained when i drove back from vegas to carlsbad - although was raining closer to carlsbad than vegas

·
Registered
398 Posts
no probs i can run it in a thunder storm and even though its blown and the scoopsucks loads in it just dosnt make a differance if i leave it parked up in the rain for a good while it gets water in the dizy cap and it takes a bit more cranking to fire but once its going its ok

·
Registered
1,549 Posts
i been in mega downpours of rain in mine and no problem from the engine just the wipers not clearing the screen fast enough, lol, never use wd on leads as the leads now seal better then the ones you use to get,

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I used to put a bit of silicon grease just round the boots but
I fitted some taylor vertex, i dont even use that now .
Its blown with a hilborn style scoop , driven it in rain, snow, hail
And sum times sunny weather , left it out in frost and its never botherd it .
Just the once i got stuck in an almighty snow storm, ( before i fitted the blower) could hardly see
Out the window ,i looked at the tem guage and it was dropping like a stone,
The motor started dropping cylinders i just got into the mway services and she died
Jumped out and i could not see the motor , about 4 inches of snow coverd it lol
I dug the dizzy out pulled the cap whizzed round it with a cloth stuck it back on
And it fired right up let it run for mo to melt the snow then back on my way.
I let it off for that one lol
Ive had trouble with cars with bonnets , i think the bonnet
Keeps the moister in and no bonnet it ses to dry quicker

·
Registered
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
hmm well ive had trouble with 4 pot front wheel drive cars wth home brew k&n style airfilters where the carb was freezing so thats the only thing that is dis-wading me from this idea

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Ive had a bit of carb icing but i got some stuff from a bike shop that bikers use
Carnt for the life of me think what its called , when your motors blown they are a ta prone to it
If it happens just pull up for a few seconds to clear it no biggy

1 - 19 of 19 Posts